Revenge of an Angel (One)

Chapter One

  I woke up with a jerk. My legs stiffened and my eyes flew open, taking in the ceiling. Not that dream again. I gave my head a small shake. I remember having that dream a million times before this, and it was always the same thing happening – a shadow would pull be from behind and then throw me forwards with godlike strength. I could just be sitting on a swing in my dreams and the shadow would appear again and again, yanking me back then pushing me front with violent force. It always jerked me awake. Today’s dream was particularly nasty: I was just strolling past a large lorry when it started to life and almost hit me. The shadow loomed behind me, and I turned around, expecting to see a face – but nothing. It was just a dark thing jerking me from behind with a dark hand, then pushing me forwards in a rush. A trickle of cold sweat rolled down on my forehead. I wiped it off quickly and got out of bed.

  As I brushed my teeth, I wondered about the Chemistry test I was having today. Seeing as it wasn’t my best subject, I figured that I could get some information in during breakfast.

  ‘Food’s ready!’ Mother called from downstairs. I spat out frothy toothpaste and yelled back, ‘Coming!’

  I quickly got into my favourite red hoodie and jeans and practically jumped down the stairs, almost unseating Father as I jumped over the bannisters and almost kicked his face. The island counter was just that close to the stairs.

  ‘Behave, Noelle. Tomorrow, walk down the stairs properly.’ Father said sternly. I gave him a mock salute and sat down beside him. French toast and salad sat on a plate, ready for me to devour.

  ‘Yes, Father.’ I said, stuffing a piece of lettuce into my mouth. Mother was busy scrubbing the stove like she always would after cooking, and the soft sounds of her sponge scrubbing against the metal was all too familiar.

  ‘Noelle, dear, do you want to bring anything to school for lunch? I have some leftover pizza from last night, if you want.’ Mother said, rubbing furiously on a piece of burnt egg on the stove.

  ‘Yeah, sure.’ I muttered, pulling out a book from my bag on the floor. I always stationed my bag at the same place every day for my own ease. ‘Put at least three slices in there, please.’ I flipped past a few pages and started reading, cramming as many things as I could while munching on my French toast.

  ‘You’ll get fat like that, dear. It’s not healthy.’ Mother said. I could imagine her pursing her lips, but I was too engrossed in my reading to look up and check.

  ‘How many years have I been living with you, Mother? It’s seventeen years and still counting, in fact.’ I said, not waiting for her answer. ‘You know I never get fat, no matter how much I eat.’

  ‘I know.’ Mother sighed, sounding sour. She had gone temporarily vegan in attempt to slim down, even though she was barely anything near chubby or even pudgy. ‘Four slices in there, is that enough?’

  ‘Thanks.’ I said, finishing up my breakfast, I hopped down from the chair and blew a kiss at Father. ‘I’m off.’

  Mother just nodded and handed a brown paper bag to me and I stuffed it in my bag. I got out of the house and strode down the street, wary of shadows here and there. The funny shadow in my dreams still scared me sometimes, no matter how childish that is. My heart pounded heavily in my chest and I sped up into a quick jog. I passed by the usual scenery and smiled. I wouldn’t get a chance to once I got to school.

  I slinked around the people in the hallways, keeping out of sight as much as possible. I successfully got to my locker without anyone noticing when someone suddenly slammed into me, sending everything flying everywhere. The general murmur in the hallways stopped for a few seconds, staring at my awkward lying position on the floor, then resumed its usual stupor.