Chapter Seven - Party Animal

Chapter Seven

                                                                                             Party Animal

I'M NOT ENTIRELY SURE WHAT had woken me up considering I was sleeping so deeply. I don't think I had even moved at all, which caused a major ache in my neck. As I sat up I came to the realization I had been sleeping on the very edge of the bed, so close my leg was dangling over the side. My head had been craned to the left, facing where Matthew had slept, while my arms were resting on my chest with my hands balled into fists. Apparently, even in my sleep, I was on guard. That reminded me...

Where is Matthew?

It was obvious he had been sleeping there at some point because his pillow was scrunched up and his blankets were tossed towards the middle. Slowly, careful not to cause further pain in my neck, I turned my head to look around the room in case he was sitting in the corner watching me or maybe hanging from the ceiling. I don't know how vampires sleep, so he could have crawled into his casket for all I know.

Matthew wasn't in the room at all, but there was a light coming from the bathroom. I groaned as my head throbbed from either sleeping too heavily or not moving. I needed aspirin and maybe a pizza with an ice-cold soda. Yeah, that's what I needed.

I knew leaving the room would be a bad idea considering the dozens of vampires sleeping in this house. I might "accidentally" ram something wooden into their chest, which would probably not make Matthew the happiest fiancé in the world. Instead of leaving I slid out of bed and shuffled towards the light of the bathroom, hoping to find something to dull the headache. Part of me expected to find my outfit and stylist waiting for me with tools of pain and seventy shades of red lipstick. But that's not what I found.

That was nothing near what I found.

Maybe it was the headache or my hunger for something greasy and fried, or maybe it was the bathroom door being open, but I didn't once think about anything actually occupying the bathroom. Not until I walked in with squinting eyes and a scowl was when I realized I heard something that sounded like rain. Still, even with the evidence of steam, the sound of a shower running, and the smell of a spicy body wash, I had no clue what was happening.

At least, not until I glanced over at the shower itself on the left with only glass as its wall.

I wish I could say I immediately looked away and shielded my eyes, or left the room in horror. But, alas, I am only human. I think I stared long enough to cause my eyes to sting from not blinking.

Matthew wasn't facing me during my intense gazing, but instead stood with his back towards me and one hand pressed firmly on the stone wall in front of him. He was mostly leaning forward, with his arm being the support, while his other hand was trying to rinse the shampoo out of his hair. I may or may not have looked him over. Again, I'm only human.

The window of opportunity for me to leave unnoticed immediately slammed shut when Matthew let out a chuckle. I practically snapped my neck looking away so quickly.

"You've been standing there at least three minutes, Anna," he mentioned. "And you can stop pretending to find the fireplace so intriguing."

I squared my shoulders and looked up at him, making sure to meet him eyes. He was smiling, with his hair slicked back and water dripping down his face. "I was looking for aspirin," I tried to lamely explain.

"And did you find it?" His blond brow arched.

My head shook and I crossed my arms over my chest. "No. Do you even have medicine?"