Chapter Twenty-Nine (29)

Chapter Twenty-Nine:

The atmosphere inside Keith's car was inevitably awkward for me. Catherine barely noticed how strange I felt, she was talking up a storm with Keith. She went from subjects of homework, to her dress, to the dance, all the way to plans for next Saturday. "What about you, Alex?" Keith asked me, snapping my attention from out the window back to car.

"Huh?"

"I said, what about you? Do you have a dress?" he looked at me through the mirror. Catherine gave me an 'I-told-you-so' facial expression and stuck her tongue out. Keith gave her an odd look and refocused his eyes on me again. 

"I won't be going. I'll be helping with decorations though."

"Why not? Everyone goes."

"I'm not everyone though. I'm Alexandra."

He shook his head in disappointment and Catherine leaned in and whispered something in his ear. He nodded in agreement and the rest of the ride was silent. Usually, whenever a room was too quiet for my liking I turned my mind into a mental radio. Right now I was humming 'Tonight Tonight' by Hot Chelle Rae.

Keith pulled up at the school entrance and Catherine reached behind the seat and took out the Macy's bag that was seated next to me. Then she opened her passenger door and waved at us as she attempted to run into her campus. She looked like Forrest running when he still had the leg braces so I couldn't help but giggle in the back seat.

"Are you hungry?" Keith asked me. Honestly I was, I hadn't ate since six and I skipped lunch to study for my Biology test tomorrow. I was about to lie and shake my head no but then my stomach betrayed me by grumbling its protest quite loudly. 

"Yes..." I said sheepishly putting a hand over my belly in shame. 

"Great, I know this great pizza restaurant." he grinned, peeling out the street. He seemed quite shocked, yet content I agreed to go anywhere with him but if I didn't eat something in the next ten minutes I'd probably fall over dead by starvation. I still needed to use at least ten years of my life.

Keith swiftly turned a wide corner and drove for a long five minutes before he finally got to the parking of Susan's Pizza. It looked a little fancy to be a pizza restaurant but there was many mind-shockers back in New Jersey too. I hadn't even realized that Keith got out the car until he opened my car door.

"Thanks," I said getting up and twisting around so I faced the building. Staying behind, I followed Keith into the building and up to the counter. There was some employee that was busy texting on her phone to notice us. She looked up, then down again. When she realized there was people in front of her she stuffed her phone in her pocket and batted her eyelashes at Keith, ignoring me completely.

"Can I help you, sir?" she breathed, pushing her chest forward and leaning over the counter so Keith's eyes were at an angle that if he looked down he would get a full view. Anger surged through me and I stepped closer to Keith and took his hand in mine. 

"Well Keith, I'm in mood for pepperoni. What are you thinking we should have?" I asked, making it look like we were a couple. The cashier took one look at me and rolled her eyes. Keith looked down at me and gave me a knowing smirk. I was snapped out my anger faze and I groaned mentally. He would definitely hold this against me later.