[Chapter 16:]

You know those moments in life that are literally so awkward and painful to go through, but you know you only have yourself to blame for going through them?

I was having one of those moments right about now, and I was about to evaporate in a puddle of goo from the awkwardness.

Ansel and I were currently being interrogated by my parents, well, my father, over the nature of our relationship, which really wasn't any of his damn business.

Ansel sat next to me, but still far enough away to not raise any more suspicion.

And boy was there enough already...

My parents sat on my love seat staring at the two of us, my father with a murderous look in his eyes for Ansel, and my mother who seemed more amused than angry.

Amused....that's good I can work with amused.

The room was silent enough to hear a pin drop at the moment, and the quiet gave me enough time to access the situation in front of me.

How the hell did I not remember they were coming?

They had mentioned to me a week ago that they might drive up from Sherman Oaks, but I thought they meant for Ella's birthday that happened to be two weeks from today.

But no, they choose today of all days to "drop in"...

My mother winked at me from the corner of my eye and I blushed. My parents were probably the two most diverse and different people not only in looks but in personality, which is probably why they both had such vastly different looks on their faces.

VERY different looks...

My father was tall, almost 6'3 on a good day, with a lean, clear caramel face, sharp jaw, hazel eyes, and a physique that rivaled any modern day man's. He'd inherited most of his features from his creole parents, my grandparents, who still lived in New Orleans. And on more than a couple occasions people had mistaken him for my older brother as opposed to being my forty nine year old father. Aside from his striking physical attributes Jamal Baptiste Collins was also a doctor, and had been for well over seventeen years. Along with being a doctor he was also very strict, but loving all the same.

Which is why he and my mom were polar opposites...

My mother, Nina Adsila Collins, on the other hand was a short, petite woman with long curly hair that she'd inherited from her Native American father and her Trinidadian mother. She was beautiful and youthful like always, her skin was ageless at forty seven, not a wrinkle or mark dared to scar her porcelain bronze skin, and her love for being an interior designer made her glow even more. People often said we looked like twins, I didn't see it, but Kim swore if people saw both of us at a distance the only way you could tell us apart was by my ass, which I'd inherited from having Ella.

But right now physical attributes were not going to save me from my mother and father's rath.

Shit, this is some serious do do.

I cleared my throat and tried to smile at them preparing myself to speak, but before I could my father spoke nearly booming as he did so.

His nearly topaz caramel eyes locked on Ansel, who had just recently put his shirt back on, "Who are you?'

He's nobody daddy! Just chill out and let me figure out a way to tell you Ansel and I are screwing...the proper way of course!

There is no proper way Sage...

My gaze drifted to Ansel and the easy going smile on his face, don't smile at him you idiot!