Chapter 5

I let my guard down. Yuu most likely saw me doing some embarrassing things while I was sleeping. I woke up and my face was on his chest and my arm was around him. I was drooling too.

I was dumb and stupid.

I need to shake that bad memory off my mind. I can't undo what has happened.

It's convenient that Yuu's room is right next to mine. I can easily visit Yuu if I want to. Or maybe not, I don't to be an inconvenience to him.

When I was about to open the door, I sensed an evil aura reeking from the cracks. I knew something bad was going to happen...to me.

Akihiko: WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?! I've been looking all over for you. I thought you left, ran away or something.

Akihiko was furious. I was just shocked, scared and speechless. I tried to speak but words weren't coming out.

Harumi: I was...um...ah...with Yuu. I slept in his room last night.

Akihiko: YUU USAGI?! How on earth did you know that dumb ass?! Ignore him from now on, and that's an addition to my rules.

I could see the intensity of his anger through his eyes. I was frozen because of fear. Then again, I didn't do anything wrong. Plus, Yuu is my friend.

Harumi: Why do I have to ignore him? He is my friend.

Akihiko: Because I said so, okay?!

Harumi: Um...I don't think I can do that. I can follow the rest of your rules but you can't forbid me on seeing Yuu.

I stood my ground, and I was determined. Akihiko, on the other hand, was getting angrier and more annoyed.

Akihiko: Fine, do whatever you want!

Akihiko turned his back on me, and he started shuffling and gathering training materials.

Akihiko: Let's start with your training. You only have a month, right? If you manage to pass, you can join the normal classes. But for now, you are training with me. By the way, my methods are very strict and by the book--be prepared.

His face and tone was serious. He stared at my eyes as if he was about to attack me. I instantly panicked.

Harumi: Ok...ay.

______________

Akihiko was like an evil overlord when he was mad. I was scared for my life. I didn't even do anything that would make him that angry. From now on, I would try not to get him enraged like that...but how could I even do that if he was my assigned mentor. One way or another, I was bound to clash with him.

My life could have been better if Yuu was assigned to me.

I followed Akihiko to the training grounds. It was a huge field at the back of the school. There were different magical machines and equipments all around. I didn't know what they were for let alone how to use them. We stopped in an empty field with a giant wall.

Anyway, I will stop thinking about Akihiko. I will do my best to pass this test so that eventually I can become a full-pledged wizard!

Akihiko: Harumi...HARUMI! Stop daydreaming! Can you cast a spell?

Harumi: No...I don't know any...and I don't even know how...

Akihiko: Why do you have to be so--How annoying! They assigned me a--never mind. I just need to be patient...it's only for a month...I can't let this ruin my perfect school record...

Harumi: Did you say something, Akihiko?

Akihiko: N--othing.

He let out a big sigh.

Akihiko: Let's begin with a simple fire spell since your elemental affinity is to fire. Here is a basic spell book, and here is the spell for fireball.

He handed over the book and pointed at the page.

Akihiko: It's a basic fire spell so I'm pretty sure you can easily master it. Okay, let me demonstrate. First, looking at the page, you have to visualize the magic circle. Second, when the magic circle appears, using your mind, chant the spell according to the book and then cast fireball. You got that? Okay, I'm going to do it now. Watch carefully.

Akihiko closed his eyes. A magic circle appeared in front of him, and he casted fire ball. He opened his eyes and shouted...

Akihiko: Fireball!

From within the magic circle, a giant fire ball, a size of a boulder, emerged and instantly blasted the wall. The wall consumed the fireball and quickly dissipated.

Akihiko: You saw that? Now, you try it.

Harumi: Um...okay...let see...

I looked at the book and tried to cast the spell.

Harumi: Visualize...then cast...Fireball!

A pea-sized fire ball emerged from my magic circle. It dissipated even before hitting the wall. Akihiko looked at me, and then he laughed hysterically.

Harumi: How come my fireball was so small?

Akihiko couldn't contain his laugh.

Harumi: What's so funny?

He finally got back his composure and wiped his tears of joy. I was a bit annoyed but I was confused.

Harumi: What is it?

Akihiko: Seriously, you call yourself a wizard? That was a first...

He paused for a bit and let out a big sigh.

Akihiko: This is going to be a long month. It seems your magic capacity and concentration are way below average. I'm giving you some tasks. Make sure you do all of them by the end of the day. Write these down. First, finish reading the Introduction on Spell Casting. Then, spend four hours casting fireball. I'll check your improvement when I get back from class.

This was too much.

Harumi: Okay, Akihiko...I'll head back to our room so I can read.

Akihiko: I don't care. Just do what I say, okay?

He left immediately.

Harumi: Why is he so mean...to me.

I walked back to my room, and I started feeling gloomy.

____________

I sat down on my chair and opened the book. I started reading the first page, and I couldn't understand anything on this page. The author was using a weird language and symbols. I couldn't decipher it. Akihiko didn't really teach me anything.

At this rate, I'm going to be expelled.

What should I do? Should I ask Yuu for help?

I know there are a lot of things on Yuu's plate already. I'll just be a bother...but I don't want to be expelled either.

Okay, I will ask him for some help but I will try to keep it short.