Chapter 17

Obi-Wan landed his ship on a platform projecting out of the side of a giant sinkhole. All was quiet...a little too quiet for his liking. He climbed out of his ship, noticing a local administrator, Tion Medon, coming out to greet him. A short ground crew came towards him, going over to his ship. On a ledge above the landing platform, Grievous's bodyguards were watching with a keen, calculating as Obi-Wan began to talk to Tion Medon.

"Greetings, young Jedi. What brings you to our remote sanctuary?" Tion asked, his real emotions clouded over with a calm façade over his face.

"Unfortunately, the war." Obi-Wan answered, bowing lightly for the alien.

"There is no war here unless you've brought it with you." Tion said, looking distraught.

Obi-Wan noticed but said nothing, sensing the magna-guards watching from above. "With your kind permission, I should like some fuel and to use your city as a base as I search nearby systems for General Grievous."

Tion stiffened slightly at the name and Obi-Wan raised a suspicious eyebrow. The ground crew inspecting his ship rushed out and began to refuel the fighter. As they worked, Tion leaned forward, whispering to the Jedi and confirming the man's suspicions.

"He is here! We are being held hostage. They are watching us." He said desperately.

'Not a wild bantha chase after all.' Obi-Wan thought. "I understand." Obi-Wan whispered in return, his sense on high alert.

"The tenth level . . . thousands of Battle Droids . . ." Tion said, still looking terrified.

"Tell your people to take shelter. If you have warriors, now is the time." Obi-Wan instructed.

Tion nodded hesitantly and bowed to the Jedi. He silently stalked away from the landing platform and caught Grievous's bodyguards retreating from overhead.

Meanwhile, Obi-Wan climbed back into his fighter, speaking to his astromech unit, R4-G9.

"Geenine, take the Fighter back to the ship. I'm staying here. Tell Cody I've made contact." Obi-Wan said with a lowered voice.

The little astro droid beeped a reply and allowed Obi-Wan to climb down and walk into the shadows, watching the ship take off.

•••

"I told you, all he wanted was fuel." Tion said to one of the bodyguards that was practically looming over him.

"What was his name?" The guard asked in a metallic and unforgiving voice.

"He didn't say."

They both watched as the blue Jedi fighter took off, the tension so thick that it could be cut with a knife.

•••

Obi-Wan quickly rushed up a stairway cut into the side of the sinkhole. In an alcove, he carefully surveyed the city, then quickly moved on, not wanting to draw attention.

He made his way through the city, looking up at the tenth level with electro-binoculars from his utility belt.

'Now how am I going to get up there?' He thought.

A strange bellowing cry came from a distance and he whirled, moving to investigate. A coral field appeared into his vision, filled with almost half a dozen dragon-like lizards. Several local wranglers were around, most likely not selling.

Smiling, Obi-Wan moved towards them. When he approached, one of the wranglers glared at him, as if waiting for him to try something.

Obi-Wan gave his most innocent smile and waved his hand slowly, concentrating on the Force.