30. Forever

OKAY this chapter turned out so freaking long omg😂 But it's the final chapter so I guess it should be extra! Anyway, I'm expecting LOADS of INLINE comments THROUGHOUT the chapter!!!!!! I know it gets annoying to stop reading and comment but pleaseeeeee for me🙊 I want to hear all your thoughts relevant to the story while reading this insanely intense chapter😓

The next day was a blur: people dropping off casseroles and flowers, my mother and Joey's father-Randy-taking turns exiting the room to cry, old high school friends from town visiting and paying respects. My mother always thought of Joey as her own, so this was hitting her hard.

"Did you call your father?" Mom asked as I responded to a text from Vicky and Travis. Vicky and I held a pretty casual relationship, but I hadn't seen either of them since their wedding two years ago. They moved out to Arizona, so it was hard to actually keep in touch besides over the phone now and then. Anyway, they both sent their most heartfelt condolences for Joey and his family.

The smell of lilies made me sick. Everyone seemed to be sending the kind that stunk the most. I offered to drive a bunch of the arrangements that had been sent to the house over to the Thomas' Funeral home.
The service would be starting at four, but before then, we were supposed to be greeting whoever came to the house earlier in the day.

My mother accompanied me as we laid out the flowers in the corners of the room surrounding the spot where the coffin would go. We also dropped off pictures of Joey and loved ones from over the years.  The funeral home smelled liked a mix of musty wood and air freshener. I wasn't looking forward to coming back later and having to see Joey's body or anyone's reaction.

I had on a slim fit black skirt that ran right below my knee. My black shirt was tightly fitted and tucked into my skirt right beneath my belt. I slipped into a pair of low heels and curled the ends of my hair before pinning them up in a casual bun. As soon as I finished, I walked back over to the Hayes' house. A few of Joey's aunts and uncles had already arrived, I greeted them, giving my condolences for their loss.

Several of Joey's old high school friends showed up as well. It took me a second to match each of their faces with their high school selves, but I managed rather quickly. I placed the trays of small cakes and cookies that had been prepared earlier on the table. I heard Joey's father fighting on the phone in the back room.

I led myself into the hallway and waited outside the door, it sounded like he was fighting with the funeral home over the phone. The door swung open and he looked right at me.

"Thank god, can you please sort everything out with the funeral home. I don't understand why they're always so damn confused. If it wasn't for Joey's mother being buried there, I'd have him buried anywhere over this junk yard of a company." He rants.

I nod my head desirably, "No worries, I'll take care of it." I reassured him and he thanked me immensely before returning to the elder guests in the living room. I dialed the number of the funeral home and closed the bedroom door behind me as it dialed.

"Hello? Yes, this is Amelia Saxton, I'm calling regarding the Hayes service." The man on the other end of the line speaks slowly as he informs me that he's pulling out the papers. He asks me if I'm calling to check the final arrangements and I respond, "Yes. I understand there's a problem with transportation? I don't understand. We gave you specific directions on which hospital the body could be retrieved at. Why is there so much confusion? We are paying you to have everything ready in two hours before the family starts arriving. Is this your first funeral or something?" I come off hard on the phone, not wanting to sound too delicate and lead the worker to attempt to take advantage of me. That's what people in this town always do. If I wasn't firm enough right off the back, he'd smell a weakness, and somehow probably convince me to personally help with his job.