{Chapter} 7

{Chapter 7}

“Dylan, Katie, you’re with me. McBride, you’re in charge of making things work right around here until we get back. The herd should be fine because we moved them yesterday. When I get back, I expect this place to look at least presentable. Savvy?” Erik stared at Toni as she gave out orders.

Apparently they all looked like work horses to her. Nonetheless, he planned on carrying out her orders while she was gone, not because he found pleasure in doing what she told him, but because his job might depend on it.

“I have a question,” he said.

Toni looked at him. “What?”

“When do you want me to get to Prince? I’ve got a few more things to work on before I ride him,” he asked.

“I’d like you to do it when I can watch, if you don’t mind” Toni situated her reins to where they fell to one side.

“You’re the boss lady” he shrugged.

Ben walked up and shoved his hands in his pockets. “The horses are hitched up.”

“Fine. Tell Wade that he can drive the rig. I’ll ride horseback,” Toni said.

Erik looked up at her and she leaned down closer to him.

“What happened last night?” she whispered.

“How do you mean?”

“I fell asleep and when I woke up you weren’t there. Nothing happened, did it?” Toni asked.

Erik narrowed his eyes at her.

“I’m talking about the horses, McBride,” she said quickly.

“Oh” Erik felt heat creep up the back of his neck and he shook his head. “Nope, nothing happened.”

“Okay. By the way, if that Mr. Downs shows up, wing him or something, will you?” Toni straightened and adjusted her felt hat.

“I’ll figure something out” he assured her.

He didn’t feel so easy about shooting anyone, but he sure didn’t want his boss knowing that.

Katie and Wade rode in the wagon and Toni rode beside them. After they were out of sight, Erik turned to the three men behind him.

“We’re not really gonna paint and all that are we?” Tiny asked.

“Oh, don’t be so lazy. When the boss comes back I’d like for her to find that we’re worth our salt, wouldn’t you?” Erik put his fists on his hips.

“I guess. But this is brutal work” Tiny whined.

“Brutal? You haven’t known brutal work. If you want brutal, I can give it to you, son” Erik smiled at the bid ox-like man in front of him.

Tiny made no comment and the other two looked around.

“Rawhide, me and you are gonna work on the bunkhouses and such. Tiny, Ben, you two are gonna clean up the barn,” Erik said.

Ben and Tiny stared at him. “Oh, no” they both whined.

“Now, shut up and do what you’re told” Rawhide said, doing his best to hide a grin.

Tiny scowled at Rawhide but complied with his orders.

Erik stood on the step he had just fixed and bounced up and down on his toes. Satisfied that the step was strong enough, he looked over to where Rawhide was running sandpaper along the porch raining on the other bunkhouse.