Chapter Six

"What?" I asked, my mind clouded with a torrent of overwhelming thoughts. I couldn't think of anything to say as I racked my brain to recall all of the information I had found regarding the Dark Ones. Surely I'd have remembered if there was any mention of my long-lost brother being a part of it.

"He's coming today, at six." Noah's eyes burned into mine. "He's different now, Clary. Although he doesn't agree with the Clave... He isn't the same person he was."

"Do you even know what type of person he was?" I asked incredulously, rising to my feet quickly. My eyes were practically bulging out of my head as I stared at him in disbelief.

"I know the person he was when he saved me from a horrific life." Noah said, and I realized that he was being completely sincere. I took a step back, shaking my head. Noah stood up too, "Clary, if it weren't for him, I'm not sure what would have happened to me. I know that you know the evil side of Jonathan, but I know that he has some good in him. Whether it was for power or not, he saved me."

"You can't be serious." I scoffed. I could feel myself losing my composure, so I looked down and took a brief pause before responding again. "Why didn't you tell me, Noah?"

"I didn't want you to leave." He admitted, and I looked up at him with my eyebrows raised. "I mean... You're more powerful than any of us. It wasn't just Jonathan who wanted you to join us, it was everyone."

I took a deep breath, feeling sick. So many thoughts rushed through my head. If Jonathan was here, that meant that I would be protected from Jace. But then again, Jace would do whatever was necessary to get me away from him. Struggling with the thought of both of these situations, I just shook my head, "I'll have to face him eventually," was all that I said.

I didn't want to be near Jonathan. I didn't want to have to see him, or even look at him. I spent a few moments rationalizing it in my head, and I came to the shaky conclusion that with him and I both here every day, I could ensure that he wasn't hurting anyone else. It was a rough plan, but at least I could attempt to keep his heinous acts to a minimum, and protect the ones that I love in the process.

"Really?" Noah asked, his face lighting up.

"He'll be here in two hours?" I asked, glancing down at my phone to see the time.

"Yes." He told me, and I simply nodded before averting my gaze. "Do... Do you want to be left alone?"

"Yes." I said quickly, but hesitated just a moment after, thinking about how torturous my own thoughts could be. "Do you have a sketchbook or some paper or something?"

"I think so," he told me, seeming to be in thought. "I'll be right back." He stepped out of the room for only a few minutes before returning. "Here," he said, crossing the room within a few strides and handing me a book. I took it, seeing that it was a sketchbook wrapped in leather with a strap across it. Turning it over in my hands, I looked up at him through my eyelashes.

"This looks really expensive." I acknowledged, "when did you get it?"

"Well," he rubbed the back of his neck. "Jon--I mean Sebastian said you liked to draw, so I thought I could pick it up for you. I went last night."

"Sebastian?" I inquired.

"Yeah, that's what he calls himself now." He told me, "do you think that'll be okay?" He motioned to the sketchbook.

"Yeah," I smile, "thank you."

I opened the sketchbook to the first page, looking up only when Noah offers me a pencil. Glancing at him, a few thoughts crossed my mind. Firstly, I was upset with him for keeping this information from me. Secondly, I wasn't entirely sure that I did want to be alone. And thirdly, I didn't know that I wanted to be alone when Sebastian arrived. "Actually, do want to sit with me for a little bit?"