Chapter Five

The carriage ride was tense. No one spoke as we jounced along the cobbled streets of Belhaven.

I stared out the window, watching the land slide by.

Father cleared his throat, as if intending to speak, but he said nothing. Finally, when it felt like the silence had become nearly unbearable, we reached the palace. The four of us, Mother, Father, Alice, and I, made our way up the marble steps to the grand doors. Our arrival was announced as we walked through the doors and down the hall to the ballroom. It looked as it had the other night, with men and women all wearing exquisite dress to impress the king and queen.

Just like before, room smelled of warring perfume, mingled with sweat. People chatted amiably as the musicians played lively music.

I did not bring my book with me this time, although I wished I had. My father immediately found some bureaucrats he needed to speak to—about work, no doubt—and left us to join them. Mother and Alice found some excuse to walk away and, once again, I found myself alone. Sighing heavily, I stood back and watched as couples danced merrily in the center of the room.

"So, you did come," a familiar voice mused by my ear. A pleasant shiver ran up my back and I turned to find William standing beside me.

"Yes, I did." I replied.

"I did not think you would, after you stood me up so harshly yesterday." He said, without accusation. He did not sound angry, or even hurt, as I expected he would.

"I'm so sorry." I said, feeling genuinely guilty for standing him up. "I had . . . other arrangements yesterday."

"It's all right, though I must admit that I was a little disappointed when you did not come." A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth, making my heart flutter.

I opened my mouth to suggest we meet at a different time, but snapped it shut abruptly.

His Highness would be ashamed to have you for a wife.

Mother's words ran through my head and my heart sank a little. I turned away from him, looking out into the crowd.

"You should go dance with my sister." I said softly.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Why?"

I looked up at him and his blue eyes met my own. "Our parents have discussed your marriage to her. She is better than me. Why would you want me when you can have someone better?" My voice was hollow and dull to my own ears.

"Erika." He sounded a little surprised by my words.

His warm fingers slipped into my gloved hand and tugged gently. He began walking, still holding my hand, and led me to the doors of the ballroom and outside into the garden. A cool breeze whispered against my skin, pleasant after the heat of so many bodies pressed together.

I did not ask where we were going and he did not seem inclined to tell me, so I let him lead me in silence.

He did not say anything as he pulled me farther away from the music and laughter and dancing. We ended up at a marble fountain, the water tinkling musically in the background.

"I do not want to marry your sister," he admitted quietly, his voice sounding loud in the relative silence.

I looked up at him, puzzled. "Why don't you? Everyone wants to marry Alice."

"I like you better." He said, and, even though it was dark, I could have sworn he was blushing. His eyes shone brightly in the moonlight as he watched me, waiting for my reaction.

"William," I whispered. "You can't. No one likes me better than her. Why would you?"

There was a long pause, and when he spoke, he did not answer my question. He just said, "Meet me tomorrow?"