Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Shaw started awake in the early morning. The very early morning, even earlier than usual. The moon still shone brightly through his window, illuminating the ashes in the fireplace, all but dead save for a faint heat still radiating from its depths. The cold of late autumn seeped in through the castle walls, probably what woke him. He turned, untangling himself from the linens and reaching for Ri. If he was cold, the lass would be freezing.

Except the bed was empty, the impression she'd left had long since cooled. He was alone. A quick look to the footboard confirmed that she'd dressed. Shaw lunged out of bed, pulling on his own trews. As he wrestled with his boots, he noted that hers were gone as well. And so was his dirk.

"Damn daft woman!" Shaw snarled. He pulled on the shirt she'd slept in, snatched up his Claymore and strapped it to his back, then stalked to the door and tore it open.

A squeak drew his eyes down. Fiona stood just on the other side of the threshold, her fist raised to knock. She too had dressed, obviously looking for her sister. Shaw grabbed her, firm enough to scare her, but refraining from hurting her.

"Where is she?" He snarled, but before she could answer, "How did ye think tae get out? Where did ye plan tae go? Yer sister's skilled, but I've known many skilled warriors tae die on the road. Ye'd ne'er survive. Where's yer sister?"

"Easy, Big Guy, relax! We aren't trying to leave!" Fiona snarled back with just as much venom. The balls on the Willow women! "If you'll let go, I'll explain." She glared pointedly. Shaw's instinct was to intimidate her into submission, and despite her calm façade, he could see the fear lingering just below the surface. He was scaring her. But that look in her eyes, so similar to the one he'd caught in her sisters' sometimes when she thought no one was looking. So strong and brave, but so tired. Shaw couldn't bring himself to exasperate that, even in her sister. He eased his grip, instead clenching his hands at his sides.

"What happened? Where is she?" he growled.

"I don't know," Shaw snarled fiercely at her answer, but she went on before he could do anything else. "Because that's the way she wanted it. Look, you've done whatever you do, you know how strong she is. She can take care of herself. And it's not like she's going for good. She said she'd be back before dawn, that if you see sunlight before you see her you're supposed to come after her. But not until then.

"She just wants to be alone, to be able to think. She was feeling trapped here. She just needs to breathe. And if you ruin that, if you go looking for her before she's ready I . . . I'll . . ."

"Ye'll what?"

"I won't be able to tell her about how you were so worried about her, but still respected her wishes. About how you paced for hours and grumbled and were in a totally rotten mood because you were so concerned, but that you still let her be because it's what she wanted. And if you know anything about my sister, you know that if she knows that, she'll jump your bones faster than you can blink."

"She'll . . . what?" Not for the first time, Shaw wondered where these strange siblings were from.

"Sleep with you?" Fiona looked at him as though he should know better.

"She already sleeps with me," he pointed his thumb to the bed behind him.

"Sex man, SEX!" Fiona practically shouted. Shaw clapped his hand over her mouth, thinking it was a very good thing the castle was still fast asleep.