The Butterfly

From The Gig Up North

"Who's the girl? With the long hair?" "That's my friend Chrissie." I answered."...she's pretty...Brian said. An idea popped into my mind. "Maybe...maybe I could introduce you to her sometime." That brought a bit of a strange look from Brian. "I don't know..." was all he said.

There was nothing more beautiful in London than the onset of early autumn, the kind where the leaves were beginning to change from green to fiery orange, red, yellow and brown. Though it was always sad to see the summer go, autumn in London was magical. The air became crisp, almost cold at nights and the days were filled with remnants of the summer sun combined with the wisps of air that teased and hinted at the fact that November was on the way. Early autumn was a time when the open windows allowed the city to come in rather than keeping it at bay.

Chrissie Mullen and I were at my flat on a Saturday afternoon enjoying a pot of tea after our plate of pasta. I had just returned from a three-day gig with Roger that the band had played a few hours north of London. "Okay, I have to ask. I've been in your bath twice now and I can't help but notice that there isn't a single condom or condom wrapper in your bin." Chrissie said, sitting across from me once again and folding her arms. The only reason she would notice something like this is because it always creeped her out completely when she saw my leftovers in my bath.

"Mmm..." I began mid-sip into my tea before returning my cup to the table. "It's because I don't use them anymore." I said, seeing Chrissie eyes widen.

"Lydia! Are you insane!?" she scolded me.

"Relax. Relax. I'm on the pill...tellin' mother nature to shove it." I said, picking up my tea again.

"Oh god...this means you..." I interrupted Chrissie comment.

"Yes. I am a fully emerged sexual butterfly. I don't know how I've kept so damn quiet in bed for so long! My god! Now that the condom's gone you should hear how loud I can actually get. I surprised myself and Roger surprised me! I've always thought of me as far classier than the kind who...gets vocal. Oh but it is positively the hottest thing that has ever happened to me in the bedroom." I told her, reaching for my pack of cigarettes. Chrissie looked at me from across my table as if I had just scarred her for life.

"I just can't believe you aren't using condoms anymore." She gasped. "Nooooo! Does this mean you're in a...." I stopped her immediately.

"Hush. We can talk about that later. I asked you over for what we need to talk about now which is your potential relationship." I said, exhaling before. Chrissie screeched at me.

"Oh my god! You...you're in a relationship!? Shit! Is it with that guy!? Roger? The one you've told me about!?" she begged me for details.

"I told you..." I said, inhaling again. "...we'll talk about that later. I have for you, a man whom I believe you will be highly compatible." I told her, eying her in a way that I knew would make her uncomfortable.

"What? No. No. I'm not letting you do any fix ups for me. Everything I said about meeting the right man this year was all..." I cut her off.

"...going to happen for you that's what. Listen. So, I met this girl. Veronica Tetzlaff and she is a dear. I like her very much and got close to her when I went up north a little while back. She and I both agreed that it's imperative you meet the guitar player in Roger's band." I said. Chrissie gave me a stare and a sigh that already said I was done.

"You and some girl I don't even know have been analyzing me!?" she asked.

"Not you. The guy we want you to meet. He's reeeeeeeaally smaaaaarrrrrt!" I sing-songed to her knowing that would get her asking questions. She glanced up at me, shifted her gaze to the white teacup on the table, then back to me again.