Chrissie's Tense

In the past three weeks Chrissie Mullen's life had gone from worrying about finals to being crazy about her boyfriend and also worrying about what she did and didn't have packed for the Rock in the Park Festival today. The thing was, she hadn't even started in on herself, because she was hurrying around Brian's flat making certain to "check" everything off of his list of what needed to go into the van and what needed to go with her. Brian had to arrive at 3:00, and Chrissie at 5:00. Knowing that Chrissie, Veronica and I wouldn't arrive until much later I did what any normal girl would do who was celebrating the near end of the semester and a day full of free music would do; we three girls decided to go out for a late lunch before heading to the park. Chrissie was in absolute heaven as she ensured nothing was forgotten on Brian's list for the days' events. Granted, she would likely forget everything of her own all for the sake of ensuring that Brian was taken care of.

"Alright. This appears to be everything. I've checked it all off." Chrissie said, handing over the list. Brian looked it over to ensure he hadn't left anything off, shaking his head seeing as it suited him.

"Great. This is perfect. Okay, so I won't see you again until around 9:30 tonight. John is coming by in about a half hour to pick this stuff up." Brian explained to Chrissie. She shook her head.

"I'm meeting Veronica and Lydia for a late lunch." Chrissie assured him.

"That's nice. Tell them that their passes will be at the gate. That's where yours will be too, of course." Brian said, picking up his now nearly overflowing duffle. The thing barely zipped. Brian in Chrissie had been in this miserably awkward phase for the past week. It was that phase that fell somewhere between being too early in this relationship to fuck each others' brains' out and being terrified to kiss each other. The truth was, they had hoped one would lead to the other but there was no way either of them would actually initiate the next horrifyingly crucial move. So, now here they were awkwardly near Brian's door, watching one another. It was times like this there needed to be someone else in the room to shove them together and let the rest happen. Instead, Chrissie reached her arms around Brian's shoulders and Brian buried his nose in the top of her sweet smelling hair. This was as close to a real kiss as they would get because Brian had to be out the door.

"Hi, I had a reservation for three." I said, checking into the hostess station.

"What's the name, please?" she asked.

"Campbell." I answered her as she flipped her book.

"Ah! Here we go. Is your party here?" she asked.

"Not yet, no." The hostess gave me a nod and proceeded to seat me.

"Here are you menus. Your waitress will be here shortly. I'll seat the rest of your party when they arrive." She said kindly.

"Thank you." I said, adjusting my seat. The waitress was certainly prompt as she showed up to the table, her water pitcher in tote. I took the liberty of ordering drinks for the table since I knew Chrissie and Veronica would be here shortly. I was exactly right as I noticed Veronica waving to me through the door. She pointed over the hostess' shoulder at me. The hostess motioned Veronica my way and she came happily toward me.

"Oh my! You look so pretty!" she said, sitting beside me and putting her handbag on the floor between us.

"So do you!" I said giving her knee a slap.

"How much shit are you responsible for taking to this thing?" she asked of me. I rolled my eyes as the waitress returned with the drinks I had ordered.

"A blanket." I answered her.

"A...a...blanket? A blanket? That's it?" she asked, rather shocked.