Brian and Chrissie

"I met a girl, Mary!" Freddie beamed over his tea at Mary who sat across from him. She looked up to him, completely uncertain as to his intentions of this conversation. After all, she had now known him for quite some time and her relationship with him was just as unexplainable today as it had been the day she met him.

"Oh?" she replied, not really knowing what else to say. Freddie shook his head happily.

"You've heard me talk about my friend Brian?" he questioned.

"Of course. The tall one." Mary said.

"Yes!" Freddie said ecstatically. "Well, last night he was introduced to a girl half his size and just as dull as him!" Freddie smiled all over.

"Fred! That's a terrible thing to say about your friend!" Mary scolded him.

"I mean it in the most endearing and sincere of ways. You don't understand! Brian can't talk to girls. He's never been able to do that in all the time I've known him. Well, he talked to this one like it was no problem whatsoever!" Freddie beamed to her. Mary gave him a soft smile wondering if she should corner Freddie into a talk about their relationship, which was far from new.

"Freddie...I....I was wondering. Am I...am I ever going to meet any of your friends?" Mary almost regretted asking. Freddie looked up at her like a fox in the headlights. He hadn't thought about this. In fact, Freddie realized that there was a lot he hadn't thought about. Honestly, He had been so very comfortable with Mary and he had enjoyed her company so, it hadn't dawned on him to think of her as more than a friend. Yet, he was conflicted because he already felt like she was more than a friend to him without having had such a discussion. He couldn't possibly introduce Mary to his friends. What the hell would he call her!? He had been so very worried about Brian that he had completely forgotten about himself. He had stopped working on his tea and found himself staring across the table at Mary's soft and delicate features. Freddie cleared his throat.

"I...I suppose it's time you and I had a talk...about us." Freddie said.

Chrissie was in rare form as she sat with Brian over lunch. There had indeed been a spark between the two of them and they had talked endlessly over their official first date. Chrissie could have licked Brian off the floor though she would never admit it out loud. Their conversation ranged from the university, to Chrissie's job, to Brian's thesis, to what they liked and where they lived and the fact that Chrissie had boldly invited him to meet her at the farmers stand at Kensington Market the next day was so very out of character for her. Not only was she inviting him to the farmers stand but by god, they were going to cook...together...at her house. This was Chrissie's dream date and she was enthralled by how smart and articulate Brian was. They stayed at the restaurant Brian had suggested for over three hours. So long in fact, the waitress sent over complimentary shortcake. Chrissie thought Brian had the kindest smile she'd ever seen and it was obvious that neither of them wanted their afternoon to end. So, it didn't. After lunch, Brian invited Chrissie back to his 2nd story rental in the house near the university. He didn't admit it, but he had a nervous wreck about it.

"So, this is where you live?" she asked excitedly, as Brian opened his door for her. His apartment had a slight odor of the couple who lived below him, a rather elderly scent but not to the point of overbearing. The tan plaid carpet, though old, was clean and free of stains and the brown corduroy couch was a terrifying sight because it was barely big enough for Brian, let alone the two of them. There was a chair near the television console that Brian had books piled open and the tiny, yellow tiled kitchen was barely a kitchen. The brown floral curtains hung over the windows had been made by the landlord and had been hanging for some time. Brian, for all practical purposes lived in a studio flat. He didn't have much room and it was evident. Thank god the ceilings were nine footers.