Chapter 6

On her way to her parent's house, Arianna thought about what she was going to say. She had already told her mother the truth but would they believe that Jason came back and professed his undying love and asked her to marry him hoping she still loved him and would say yes? And what is she going to tell Brianna? Arianna exhaled bitterly. She was so tired of lying. She never wanted Brianna to find out that her father had never even known she existed.

All of a sudden she had a plan. She would beat Jason at his own game. She still loved Jason, even if he didn't love her. She would not let him bully her into doing what he wanted, out of any guilt she may feel for keeping the truth from him, but she would get him to fall in love with her again. And she would start by telling them all the truth. No more lies. No more hiding behind her fears. If she had a chance of Jason ever loving her again she had to fight for him. She smiled secretly to herself as she continued driving, how does the saying go, she thought. All's fair in love and war. And this is one fight she had no intention of losing.

Arianna pulled her silver Ford Expedition in her parent's driveway. Just looking at her childhood home gave her a feeling of love and inner peace. She got out and walked to the door. Brianna came busting out greeting her.

"Mama!!!" she exclaimed. "I'm so glad you're ok. I was so worried. When that man brought me here, I thought something bad had happened to you," Brianna said with tears in her beautiful blue eyes.

Arianna laughed and hugged her daughter tightly. "I'm ok ladybug. I think it was too hot in my office and the heat was too much for me. I fainted that's all. Let's go inside. I have good news for all of you. But especially for you baby," Arianna said.

Brianna's eyes lit up with excitement. "What is it Mama? Tell me!" she begged.

"I will honey. But first let me go in and see papa and nana. Then I'll tell you all together," Arianna explained.

Brianna ran ahead inside. Arianna followed behind her, hoping that she didn't look as scared as she felt.

"Ma, Da? Where yall at?" Arianna asked as she walked in the house.

"In the kitchen baby girl," Richard said.

"Well what is it child? Brie done ran in here and told us you got some good news. Lets here it," Katie said to her daughter.

"I had a visitor the other day," she announced. Arianna tried to put her best smile on her face and hide the tremor that shook her voice. "Jason has come back. He's back for good and he's asked me to marry him," she paused and looked at her parents, "but I told him I'm already engaged." she said with a slightly forced smile on her beautiful face. "It seems that he wants to be a part of Brianna's life," Arianna added. He did want to be part of Brianna's life, just not hers. She fixed her biggest and brightest smile on her face. I just hope this works, she thought. There, that part was easy. Now it's time for the hard part.

Brianna's face fell. Whatever it was she was expecting her mother to say, that was not it. "Who's Jason mom? Why haven't I heard you mention him before? I didn't even know you were dating nobody but Anthony," Brianna said.

"Anybody," Arianna replied correcting her. "And Jason isn't just anybody. Jason is your birthday present. Remember the other day, what you told me you wanted for your birthday?"

"Is he the man that brought me here? The one with that phat Benz?" Brianna asked.

"Yes baby. Jason is your father. He wants to get to know you," Arianna replied.

"Now wait just a minute," Richard said. "Where has that boy been all these years? He can't just come back here and think yall sitting around waiting on him. Have you lost your mind? What's changed so much that he all of a sudden wants to play daddy to Brianna now?" her father asked.