Prologue

Prologue

Titanium — lustrous, white metal when pure. The metal has a low density, good strength, and has excellent corrosion resistance. Burns in air. 

Monitors beeped, a group of scientists being huddled around a single operation table. And, on the table lay what appeared to be a small girl, who couldn’t have been more than five foot two at most. 

A design given to it to make it seem more innocent, no doubt. 

“All levels seem to be normal,” the voice informed, having no real emotion behind his words. No real excitement behind the success. The man behind the computer screen looked as lifeless as the girl on the table, the only sign of life being the flickering of his half-lidded eyes. 

The others looked much the same, although some did look relieved. Maybe they’d get to sleep— 

“She’s stabilized,” the same man called again, the light faintly reflecting in his rectangular glasses, easily illuminating his face with a blue twinge. 

The lead’s face relaxed a bit, his expression fitting into one of contentment. He was a good twenty years older than the oldest of the group—a real rarity—and looked more like a grandpa with a kind smile and good fairytales. He, like the girl laid out in front of him, had a trusting face. But, now, he looked as tired as the rest of them. 

“Shall we wake her, then?”

“But—”

“We’ve been working for so long. Don’t you think it’ll be nice to meet her?” No one said anything more, by he could tell by the stale atmosphere that his colleagues were displeased with his decision. 

However, they had no authority against his word. And, were generally too tired to fight back. 

What Smith had said was true, after all. They had been working for a long time. 

“Well, let’s wake her, then.” The man behind the computer began working before the senior could finish his sentence, the room suddenly filled with anticipation. 

It wasn’t like something like this hadn’t of been done, before. But at this level, to this extent? It had taken them years just to build off of the prototypes, the extra formulas they needed being hard enough. 

This was the closest they had ever gotten to a successful model. 

The monitors went quiet, all that was left being the sound of the computer keys being repeatedly pressed. And, it was not soon after that that even the man’s typing had stopped, too. 

“I thought I said—” Smith began when minutes had passed and there was still no movement from the girl on the table.

“Sir, I did.” The man had answered, cutting Smith off. 

There was a resignation that hung in the air as more minutes passed by, and still, nothing happened. Even Smith, who had always been the more optimistic of the group, looked defeated. 

“I was so sure…” He murmured, turning away from the statue-like girl. They had been so sure that this time had been it. They had thought they had finally been able to reach an artificial intelligence so modernized it would bypass everything they had been accustomed to. She was have been a walking, breathing computer with her own mindset, basically — almost. She would have had practical thinking, a level of understanding far beyond her kind. 

They had failed. Again.  

!~*~*!

oops! Another prologue (: Sorry! I just find this story to be much more interesting. And, I'm sure you will too! (: