Chapter 7

Chapter 7

At The Seagull, the conversation went on between Joaquim and his friends. Joaquim had declined the seat they had offered him because he wouldn't stay long. He had to see his sister at Arbela next door. These were friends from the secondary school. They hadn't gone to college and had preferred to stay there in Providencia, working with their parents in their farms. Two of them were brothers and the other was their cousin. They were of Italian descent. 

Three girls came, led by the waiter, and sat at a table near theirs. The girls made themselves comfortable and hung their handbags at the back of the chairs. One of them put hers on the extra chair. It was a very charming somewhat worn brown soft leathered handbag. The waiter handed them menus. 

'Gee, I've never seen so many pretty girls in town, Joaquim,' the younger brother said, 'as I have seen this summer.' His name was Marco. He was talkative, polite, and friendly. He was good humoured too. They all looked at the girls. The girls were busy examining the menus and discussing the items in them.  

'Yeah... They're getting prettier every day,' Joaquim said. 

'They certainly are. You know, I can't keep pace,' Marco said as other girls were passing on the sidewalk. 

'Difficult to make a choice,' he resumed. 'One's more gorgeous than the other.' 

'Be careful not to fall between two stools,' Joaquim said. 

'Are you dating anyone at present?' Marco said. 

'No, I'm not. Are you?' Joaquim said. 

'I'm not, either. But I have a prospective girlfriend in mind.' 

'A prospective what?' said the cousin. His name was Paolo. He was tall, athletic, with a jaunty manner. 

'A prospective girlfriend,' said Marco.  

'What's that, prospective?' Paolo asked. 

'It means she's likely to be my girlfriend in a very short time.' 

'And who's that prospective?' 

'Ah, that's a secret,' Marco said. Paolo shrugged. 

'You know,' the older brother said. 'What Joaquim has said is the exact truth.' He assumed a philosophical tone. 'Sometimes we choose too much. I was like that myself. But, once, you know, I had a girlfriend from Oleana. She was not the prettiest girl in the world, but for me she became one of the prettiest. You know what I mean?' He was called Duilio. He was rather tall, quiet, and even shy. The others made a pause signifying they agreed with him. 

The waiter came, bringing Marco a beer can he had ordered before. 

'Have some beer, Joaquim,' he said pulling the ring pull, and producing the characteristic bursting crack. 

'No, thanks, not now. Are you and Luiza going steady, Paolo?' Joaquim asked.  

'Yes, we are. Her mother wouldn't allow her to go out tonight, so I'll meet her tomorrow.' 

Holding the beer can, Marco made the classical universal movement with it in his hand, offering it to one of the girls at the table nearby. She was the one who had put the handbag on the extra chair. The girl smiled at him and shook her head saying thank you. It was a lip-read thank you. Still smiling, she showed him her glass. 

'What's that?' Marco asked.  

'It's sake with pinapple juice,' the girl said audibly. There were icecubes in the drink and she drank it through a straw. 

'Is it nice?' 

'Very nice.' 

'Luiza's such a lovely girl,' Joaquim went on talking to Paolo and Duilio.