Chapter 10

• Dedicated to Georgia_040

Chapter 10

'It was so nice last night at Arbela,' Juliana said.  

'It was,' Denise said. 

'What a pleasant time.' 

'One doesn't need very much to be happy.' 

'One certainly doesn't.' 

It was in the afternoon, after lunch, at about two o'clock. They were in Denise's house in a room which Denise used as a study. Juliana sat in an armchair near the window, Denise sat opposite her in another armchair next to a three-drawered mahogany desk and a swivel chair. 

The night before had been the special subject of their conversation. Having a great time was something that seemed to come very easily, without complex arrangements. It had been built up throughout the years. They knew almost everybody in town. Almost every place was home. A common history was shared. All this caused everything to fall into place naturally. If you were feeling fine internally, then external happiness was around every corner. 

'I just dropped in to say hello,' Juliana said. 'I know you're busy with your arrangements for the party. I shan't be long.' Juliana was dressed in a black skirt and a white T-shirt. She was wearing black shoes. She was always thoughtful, always calmly aware of what was going on around her. She hardly ever blundered. But when she did so, she did it charmingly. Nobody was ever annoyed with her, or at least it was hard to be so. 

'No, by no means, stay as long as you wish. Everything's ready, you know. Or almost.'  

'Is there something - Do you need any help?' 

'Don't bother. Just a few details to be taken care of. What is left is mother's part - the most important part, I recognize: the operational part - and she's dealing with it. So do not worry.' Denise was wearing blue jeans and a light yellow T-shirt. 

In the kitchen, Denise's mother was making a cake. She was assisted by one of the maids. 

'Move this dish a little closer, Mary,' she asked the maid. 'Pass me the milk bottle, please,' she said kindly. 'Is there any more milk in the fridge, do you know? And eggs?' 

'Yes, ma'am. There's plenty.'  

The cake was for the party her daughter would be holding in the evening. Denise had decided to give the party after all, after some hesitation last week, and after having asked her for permission. In the evening she would go with her husband to the reception at Alfredo's house. She was thinking that it felt somewhat strange to go to a reception while in her own house there would be a party going on. However, she intended to stay at Alfredo's house only for a limited time and then come back, as she felt responsible for it just the same, although it was Denise's party. She thought it was her duty, above all, to be on the spot. She was always worried about her son and daughter and about the house. She took great care of them, without being protective. She was very disciplined, and on many occasions, strict. She had always taken great care not to spoil them. She put great value on hard work, strength and willpower. This was the way she thought it would be best for them, in order to prepare them for life. Nevertheless, she managed to find a balance between discipline and kindness, and came to be a loving mother. Her understanding, however, was shown within limits. She preferred to offer them moral support instead. She was very positive, very optimistic. She checked carefully that the maid was putting the right amount of eggs, flour and sugar to prepare the mass. Then she remembered there were some instructions on how to improve the part that goes inside the cake, the layers, but they were in one of her recipe books, possibly in the old one with the shabby faded blue cover. She couldn't remember where she had seen it for the last time. She had the impression she had seen it in the bookcase in her husband's office. Perhaps she had seen it there. But what on earth would it be doing there? It would provide her with instructions on how to improve the coat as well, and on the right amount of wine in the layers. Red wine. She knew by intuition but she wanted to check. This was no ordinary cake. It couldn't be bought or ordered. As for the party, although it was only for Denise's friends, Doctor Claudio and Celia would come. And eventually not only the doctor and his wife but other couples of her own generation would end up coming as well as it was always the case. Someone would be invited a few hours before it started, others at the eleventh hour, and then others. So she would have people her own age to talk to. Denise's mother liked all their friends very much and this was shown to them in the way she treated them. She was very considerate. She worried about even the smallest details. She and her husband had many friends, good friends. For her - and also for him -, this was one of the things that counted most in the world. She calculated mentally all that would be necessary for the party, the sweets and their variety, salty food, all the food in general, fruits, soft drinks, beer, fruit juice. She made a point not to miss a single item. Some of them would have to be bought at the supermarket. Others would have to be ordered at Stuart's, the rotisserie and caterers. She had to hurry. There was no time to lose. Then she remembered there were the glasses, the plates and the cuttlery and napkins to be thought of and provided, and how and in which tables she would dispose all the food and drinks. She would ask her daughter whether she had any special layout in mind.