Last Chances (One Shot)

• Dedicated to Victims of Atychiphobia

(Yes, this has been posted before, just ignore it)

Word Count: 7863

Description: Chances are like rain. When it's there, they take it for granted. Yet, everyone complains and begs when they're in a drought. Why not make it rain for yourself?

Last Chances - A Novelette (that's probably terrible because I was half awake, if I'm honest)

Nostalgia is a freight train. It just so happens to hit Dia as she stares blankly at the entrance. Her head tilts unintentionally, her eyes examining the reflection in the glass. It seems different to her; a good different. The ends of her lips pull up in a smile, as she decides, this self is blue; her favourite colour. It's a nice light blue shade that resembles a certain somebody's eyes. She shakes her head, surprised that she hadn't realized that before. Wow, after all this time. . .

She pulls at the bar of the door, a nostalgic grin lighting up her face. Seven hundred and eighty days - she's counted - of walking in and out through the same large gateway, but the memory of walking into the same building for the first time is the one that causes that simple grin.

She remembers staring at the door, scared out of her wits that maybe, just maybe, she'd get sucked into some dark, dark, hole that lay beyond the doors. Reflecting now, she can't help but shake her head at her younger self; there wasn't much left to the imagination with the glass doors. You still have that imagination, the voice in the back of her head corrects, but she smirks, shrugging that off. The large double doors loomed over her petite figure, what, four years ago? She shrugs off that question, as her mind continues to travel back in time.

It wasn't as if she was all too short back then - she still hasn't grown all too much either - but the door was, and is, voluminous, even in comparison to the surrounding walls. The stairs that lead to the entrance are even more massive, and almost every freshman groans, including Dia, a couple years ago, and even now. Her hands had pushed at that same door, the opposite force she was supposed to input. She had chuckled at her inability to just open a door. Yet, she had continued to push for a good twenty seconds after, thinking that she wasn't strong enough - long enough for a group of people to chuckle at her antics - before learning her mistake and blushing as she too, chuckled again, this time sheepishly. Her current self, snorts as she recalls it as she continues down the long hallway, her green messenger bag swaying back and forth, hitting her hip every couple of steps.

Her eyes inspect the line of blue doors, each holding a person's belongings. She takes it in, reminded by the robe adorned swaying about and rubbing her leg that it's going to be probably one of the last times she's going to go through those same halls. She finally arrives at her destination, her personal sanctuary in the busy track, her locker.

She stares, head to toe, memorizing the dents in sporadic places, and the scratches caused from years of use. She's a couple inches taller than the first time she used it, and she remembers having to slide her magnetized mirror higher than she expected after almost every summer; she didn't think she'd actually grown all too much.

She remembers the first time she had seen the huge lockers that encompassed the walls of the school. She had swivelled her head around, hoping there wasn't going to be any mean people. Her first impression was nice; they hadn't full-on laughed about her fatuity when it came to opening doors. She still couldn't help wondering if they'd do the same thing her old schoolmates had done and if she'd consequently be spending a heck of a lot of time buried within in locker due to a nice, fun, shove. She shakes her head sadly now; her old self was such a bleak shade of black.

She twirls her lock's combination. The series of numbers has been imprinted in her mind for ages, unlike before. She easily recalls the memory of when she forgot the combination, as it is probably one of the more embarrassing memories she's had here.