22 - Panic for Holmes

Panic for Holmes

Panic. An emotion which we all feel at least one point in our lives, whether it be that sinking feeling when you realise you haven't finished an assignment at it is due in today, the stress if are running late for an important meeting or a train. The definition of panic is: sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behaviour. Right now the Holmes' are feeling panicked. Mycroft and his team of government buffoons are trying to track down the location of Juliet Holmes who if she continues with her absurd plan could cause an all-round war; the world versus Moriarty's network. Sherlock is towering over his desk in Baker Street looking at an outstretched map trying to pin point his daughter's exact location while waiting for his brother, Sherrinford, to arrive. After a quite tense minute conversation on the phone of Sherlock explaining the current situation to his younger brother they agreed a truce just to stop this plan from going ahead. And finally Juliet, is pacing the living room of the abandoned house waiting for James Moriarty to pitch up. She has sent the message and now its show time.

Sherlock is muttering something incoherent to himself as his brother waltzes in making the air thicken. It has been many years since the two brothers have seen each other and they never imagined in a million years the reason of their reunion. "Hello brother dear." Sherrinford grimaces a shifts from foot to foot. Sherlock does not respond but instead chucks the file of notes Juliet has made at his brother. "Are these her notes?"

"Yes." Sherlock sighs, "I can't decrypt them on my own and we haven't got time to take our time. She could have done it by now." He flips the map over to view the opposite side hoping to find the clues he is looking for.

"I think we would know... don't you?" Sherrinford asks and the consulting detective hums in agreement before the two busy themselves with Juliet's scrawl.

Juliet on the other hand is still pacing around the old, house when the doubt starts to kick in: maybe this isn't such a good idea?

But Matt and Arthur's deaths have to be avenged.

They are just two people...

What about all the others who have fallen because of James Moriarty?

What if he doesn't come alone and you get shot dead?

Moriarty may be a criminal but he isn't one to go back on his word, it is too obvious for him.

What if killing James Moriarty means his men go after you?

Who cares?

What about your father? And your uncles?

They are too smart for that.

John? Mary? Their baby girl? Mrs Hudson? All dead because of you.

No. That won't happen.

Lestrade? Molly? So many deaths will be on your hands.

"I can't do this..." Juliet mutters and turns to leave.

"Going somewhere?" James Moriarty's Irish lilt echoes around the empty house making the young Holmes shiver. "It is a bit rude to walk out when you invited someone to meet you Miss Holmes. I don't like being stood up." His tone becomes hard towards the end of his statement. "Though it doesn't happen often and you nearly did it so I applaud you." He walks into view wearing one of his many Westwood suits with an emerald green tie bringing out his lifeless, cold eyes. Is James Moriarty really alive? Or has a demon consumed him? "Now I would ask, 'where's Sherlock'? But I know that he isn't coming because he wouldn't be so stupid." His eyes scan the rotting wooden staircase. "His naïve little daughter may be though. Turns out you're ordinary."