Sunset

Conor tilts his head back, so that from the corner of his vision he can see the houses sweep alongside in a flickering blur.

Every now and then his eyes focus on a mansion – an imposing home, a swimming pool, a well-manicured lawn. Then he switches back to staring ahead and the buildings sweep into a stream of white stucco and terracotta tiles.

He puts more pressure on the gas and the blur speeds up, shifting into a solid brightness. If he went fast enough, he wonders, would there be anything to see outside at all?

He keeps one hand on the wheel, another holding the final sliver of a lit cigarette. He hears a beep and he looks across to the empty passenger seat. A small glow shows that it's another message and he knows without reading that it'll be from Daniel.

"Chrissakes Dan, keep it together." he mutters and reaches over for the phone, then just before he swipes it on he puts it between his legs. He grins, knowing the stress this simple move will cause.

He notices the song has ended and the news has come on. Yet more blabber about oil prices crashing and conflict spreading in some other hell hole place he doesn't give a shit about. Conor flips the station but there's just more of the same news so he shuts off the radio altogether.

He pauses at a stop sign and swings around, moving to a neighbourhood that while fancy, isn't quite as upscale as the last one.

Up ahead he sees a man standing at a bus stop, nervously shifting around.

"Geez Dan, can you make yourself any more conspicuous?" he says as he pulls up in front.

The man looks left and right quickly then jumps into the car.

"I called you twenty times! I've been messaging you!!" he squeaks and Conor reaches for another cigarette. This'll be a long drive he thinks as he pulls off and starts the drive back to the harbour.

"You didn't get back to me!"

"Shit Dan, just shut up ok? We're on, like I said we'd be on."

Dan stares out the window, tapping his foot nervously. Conor watches on as he bites his nails and keeps glancing up to the rear mirror.

"Relax Dan, this will go like planned. Just got to be there for when the consignment comes in tomorrow."

"You sure? I mean, what if something goes wrong? What if the cops are on to us?

Conor sighs, wondering why Keller put him on this job anyway. Dealing with amateurs was not his speciality.

"Listen to me Dan, just shut up and listen good. There will be no cops, everything will go according to plan."

He turns a corner and starts on the expressway, picking up speed. Looking up he notices that Dan still doesn't seem to be calming down.

Chrissakes.

He sighs aloud, thinking it's time for some carrot to go along with the stick.

"Dan, relax my man. Relax. I've done this before, trust me. It'll go smooth, I promise."

For a moment he thinks Dan might bust out in tears. Wouldn't that be one to tell the guys later. But Dan just lets out a little laugh and asks for a cigarette. He lights up and blows a waft of smoke out into the hot evening air.

"See? All good. And think about the money Dan. I get the feeling you could use a bit of cash. I need some too buddy. Well, we'll get that tomorrow, once everything's sorted. Just gotta stick with the plan, yeah?"