Dawn

Lucinda wakes up a few moments before her alarm goes off - same as she always does. Years on set and working on air has given her the ability to get up on time pretty much anytime.

She rises out of the empty bed and sits for a moment. The room is stuffy and hot. She's been sleeping with the air con off, its becoming pretty expensive.

She notices herself tracing the empty half of the bed. It's been a while since someone's slept alongside her. Then again, without air con it's probably a good thing to not have some oaf of a man making the bed even hotter.

Ok, let's get going

She steps out of the bedroom and into the bathroom to begin her routine. Twenty three minutes exactly, twenty if she hustles. It used to be less, but with each passing year she feels she needs more foundation, more eyeliner, more effort on the lips. Old age doesn't work well in this industry.

The bathroom is steamy so she opens the window. She gazes out to the great expanse of water, spliced by incomplete high rises and half empty office towers. Somewhere a car beeps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Conor slows his car a block down the road from Dan's office. It's still dark but there are already signs of activity as the city wakes up.

A sudden honking makes him jump half out of his seat and reach for the handgun instinctively. He watches as a garbage truck pulls up alongside him, slowing for a moment so the driver can hurl an insult down.

Conor fingers the weapon.

God-damn asshole. Should shut you up.

Instead he pulls over and kills the engine. He waits a moment till the street is empty then slips quickly out of the car and walks the rest of the way to the store.

As soon as he gets nearer he can tell something is wrong. It's too quiet. Dan wouldn't be idiot enough to have the place all lit up but it's too dark.

Dammit Dan, you better not screw me

He reaches the office and looks at the window. The blinds are drawn and no light spills out. He steps to the door and tries to open it. It's locked.

He knocks quietly. Waits, wishing he brought his cigarettes.

He knocks louder but no one responds.

Conor curses and looks around up and down the street, then checks his watch. The deal's meant to be happening in thirty minutes. He hears a car approaching and starts to walk along, hands in pockets. As it drives past he pulls out his phone.

Now you're quiet.

He dials Dan and it rings out before going to voice mail. He hangs up and dials again. And again. And again.

Dan I'm going to kill you.

He reaches a street corner and sees a convenience store, heads over to step in and get some cigarettes. He almost drops his phone when he realises Dan's answered.

"I'm sorry Conor." comes the voice, slurred and breaking.

"Christ Dan, you drunk?"

"I can't do it Conor, I can't put my family at risk."

"Dan you're meant to be smart man but you're acting like one stupid idiot!" shouts Conor as he walks back into the street. "Do you think these guys are just going to skip outta the deal? They ain't the types that'll just sit back and smile and say 'no matter sir, that's quite all right sir, three bags full sir."