Prologue

Prologue

I knew from the moment our time ended in Chicago that we had to spend the rest of our summer in the United States. There was so much more I wanted to do there - and everyone else agreed. Especially since in about a month, the boys were due in Los Angeles to film the music video for their first single.

It was perfect.

I stared at my promise finger that is still wrapped around my index finger. It felt like it was just yesterday Louis had given me this ring, but it was over two weeks ago.

"Hey," Louis said, coming up from behind me and giving me a kiss on the cheek, "Did you check in with your mum this today?"

I shrugged, propping my feet up on the desk 

In our hotel room. "No. I don't want to talk to her."

Last week, my mum had given birth to my new baby brother - Henry. She waited until yesterday to call me and tell me. She waited a whole week. I'm still mad at the whole situation, since I am the poor kid's big sister. And she also dropped another huge news bomb on me.

She was engaged to Chet.

Engaged. I groaned, looking up at Louis who stood next to me with a concerned gaze.

"I'm fine," I partially lied, just trying to get Louis off my case.

"You are not fine, "Ava piped in, with a bark from Biscuit echoing her comment. She scratched him behind his ears which he happily panted at. "You're sulking is almost as bad as when Louis broke up with you."

"Shut up." I twisted my promise ring.

Biscuit barked once again. Even he agreed with Ava - and he was my dog. Luckily here in Chicago there were many hotels that accepted pets. Even though we were only going to be here three more days, we needed to find a pet friendly hotel. For Biscuit and the guys.

"Yeah Vic. Maybe you should get a massage or something," Zayn suggested bouncing a rubber ball off the wall, "Let out some of the stress."

Louis' hands were on my shoulders rubbing small circles. "Vic is fine," He looked down at me, "Aren't you Vic?"

I grunted in response. I wasn't fine, but it's not like I was going to admit that. The sound of Zayn's rubber ball smacking against the wall repeatedly was starting to give me a migraine. I pressed my fingers to my temples on my head and I closed my eyes tightly.

"Mate," Niall said, "Stop with the ball."

"Stop with the ball." Zayn mocked Niall in a fake Irish accent, but stopped throwing the ball against the wall.

I sighed in relief. "Thank you Niall."

He shot me a smile that showed off his crooked teeth. I smiled slightly back at him and looked up at Louis who was still standing next to me.

"Can we go for a walk?"

He nodded, grabbing my hand in his and interlacing them together. I squeezed his hand and the familiar tingles shot up my arm. We walked out of the room and into the hallway, and headed towards the lifts.

"So," Louis said, stopping just before the vending machines, "Why did you want to go for a walk?"

"To do this."

I stood up on my tiptoes and kissed him. Our hands were still interlaced in between us and we kissed. His lips were slightly chapped, but when he opened his mouth letting me enter I forgot all about his lips and focused on the inside.

I pulled back. He was smirking down at me, slightly out of breath.

"All you have to do is ask," Louis paused, "On second thought, don't ask. Just do it. It's a nice surprise."

I laughed, facing the elevator doors. "I love you."

He kissed the side of my head. "I love you too baby."

~*~

"Sit." I commanded, holding the processed dog treat pinched between my thumb and index finger.

Biscuit stood on all fours, staring up at the processed dog treat. He was a lot bigger now than when we first got him. He was almost up to my shins - which is saying a lot because I'm not that tall.

"Biscuit," I groaned, "Please sit."

He continued to stare at me. His head tilted slightly, making his ears flop with his head. I sat down on the hotel bed with a huff, the springs in the mattress crying out for help.

"Maybe he just wants the treat," Ava suggested from her bed. She flipped a page in her Marie Claire magazine.

The rest of the boys went to the two rooms that they had rented for themselves. Their crew was supposed to meet up with us in Los Angeles in about four weeks. We had four weeks to visit three states. Florida, Texas and California.

I sighed, throwing Biscuit the treat which he happily chewed on. "This dog hates me," He hoped up onto my bed and laid down next to me, "I swear."

Ava peered up over her magazine, "He so hates you." She said sarcastically, before pushing back up her black rimmed reading glasses.

I plucked my phone from it's place on the nightstand next to the bed and unlocked it. I had three new messages. One from Louis and two from Jon - Chet's son and my soon to be step brother.

I opened the one from Louis first with a smile on my face;

-I love you Vic. Sleep tight! I'll be @ your room bright and early for breakfast. Until then, goodnight babe xx

I didn't bother typing a reply, because Louis already knew I loved him a lot. I skipped Jon's first message that simply said 'Hey' and went to the second message he sent just a few minutes ago;

-I heard u and ur mommy dearest aren't talking. R u ever going 2 come see Henry??

I sighed, hitting the reply bar and letting my fingers glide across the screen, typing a short and sweet simple reply;

-Some day.

I knew someday I would have to go back to Doncaster to face my mom and baby brother. Whether it was at her and Chet's wedding or for a holiday visit, I knew I'd have to see them all.

But for now, I was fine spending all my time with my family away from home. The people I love and can trust. The people I can be lucky enough to call mine.

~*~

The prologue is finished for the last and final book of the 'He Wasn't A Jerk..' series. I hope you all enjoyed it!

The title was chosen from my friend who came up with it first, @Gummy_Bear_Ninja 

Thanks Nikki!! :)

Please COMMENT - VOTE - SHARE