}16{ Euroky

[6:16PM, April 22, UTC ±00:00]

Folasade shot up from the couch the second she received the message. James, her step-father, eyed her curiously.

“Someone’s in a rush.”
“Toilet,” she mumbled. He chuckled lightly as she sped off, clambering quickly up the stairs and running in the direction of her room. When she got in, she found Alison lying on the bed, engaged in a video-chat with one of her friends.

Shit.

She grimaced, considering her options and ran out of the room as quickly as she could. She decided to actually go to the bathroom. Sure, nobody will suspect a thing if I’m locked inside for two hours, she thought, and then laughed at the fact that she was being sarcastic to herself. She got to the bathroom and knocked.

“Busy,” Mum said from inside.

She hissed and ran across the short hallway to the boys’ room. Oliver was already lying on his bed, and Brian was sleeping, but from her calculations of when he fell asleep she knew he would be awake soon. She shook with frustration, knowing how suspicious it would seem if she and Oliver were completely unconscious at the same time. Brian might actually cry and make a scene. He was always hungry after waking up and was likely going to call her to fix his favourite snacks.

“Jesus Christ,” she said, cursing her ill luck. Oliver opened his eyes and looked at her, then frowned with concern.

“You’ve still not found a place?”
“Alison is in the room,” she groaned. “I can’t just tell her to get out when she’s video-calling. You know how she can behave.”
“We don’t have time. Barely four minutes remaining.” He looked at his watch. She looked to the ceiling and groaned deep in her throat, wondering what she was to do. Then she glanced back at him.

“Wait, how come you’re lying here? Won’t Brian freak out?”
“I told him never to disturb me. Besides, he knows I’m a deep sleeper. Unlike you.”
Chai. What should I do? We can’t be here together.”

Oliver sighed. “Well…you may have to explain things to Alison and tell her to keep quiet about it. After all, she has her own secrets. Abi?

Folasade considered the idea for a brief second, nodded and ran out of the room. Time was of the essence and she tried to form a lie as she ran back, but eventually settled on telling the truth.

Stranger things have happened in this house.

“Alison,” she called out as she got into the room. The younger girl ignored her and smiled to the person on the other side of the video feed. Folasade hissed and closed her eyes.

“Oluwaseyi.”
“Don’t call me that!” Alison spat, looking up and scowling. Folasade fought her own reflex of annoyance and composed her voice. She needed the little girl to be cooperative, and agitating her was only going to do the opposite.

“Sorry, I only wanted to get your attention.”