sixty one

-diane-

Of course. Of course she wiped her computer.

I was foolish to think that she would leave her computer where we could access it. I run a few hacking measure to make sure the files aren't hidden somewhere within the computer.

Nothing.

There is nothing on this computer.

"She couldn't have just deleted everything." Julia says.

"She probably didn't. It must all be somewhere on an external hard drive. However, our chances of finding that hard drive? Nothing. She might even have the hard drive with her."

Julia shakes her head. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. I just wish I could have seen that video. If I could just know who the murderer is..."

Julia's eyes tear up and she looks away. I say, "Hey, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I know there isn't anything you could have done. I know that if you knew you would tell me. I'm sorry."

She just shakes her head and turns away.

I sigh, thinking about how this was a little waste of my time. But, it's not like I have a lot of things to do. I'm basically just counting down the days to Wednesday while frantically trying to come up with a plan.

And I have nothing.

I say, "I guess I better get going. Is there anything else we should talk about while I'm here?"

She shrugs, "I don't know what's going to happen, Diane. I doubt my mother will give me the chance to talk to you again. Not if she saw the videos. Just...I'll be there for you when you need me, do you understand?"

I nod. She'll be there on Wednesday.

"I'm having a party on Wednesday. Maybe you could come." She'll understand what I mean.

She nods, "I'll find a way to be there."

"You could come early if you want if you want to see how things are set up."

"I might be able to do that."

She takes a deep breath and nods at me. I smile and leave her house. I run back through the lawn the way I came. Once I've gotten several streets away, I slow to a walk.

What will happen to Julia? I don't think her mother would kill her. But I would have never thought that her mother would plan to kill me either. Maybe she'll throw her in jail. Maybe she'll just lock Julia in her bedroom for the rest of her life.

When I arrive home, Kristy and Andrew sit at the table. I offer them a smile and hurry towards my room. Andrew clears his throat, "Just a second, Diane. We would like to talk to you."

I frown and step back. "Okay." I have a seat.

"Where were you just now?"

"I went to a friend's house."

"Who's?"

I can't tell them the truth. They would laugh in my face. I just say, "Julia."

"Julia, who?"

"Why does it matter?"

Kristy says, "It doesn't really matter. We just would appreciate if you told us you were leaving before you left. I know you might not be used to it, but we get worried when you disappear. We don't know where you are or if you are safe. What if you were in danger? We wouldn't know whether you were missing or just at a friend's house. Do you understand?"

I nod and say, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize it bothered you. I will be sure to tell you before I leave from now on."

Andrew smiles, "Thank you. If you can't find either of us, you can always leave a note on the table, just so that we know where you are."

I nod again.

Kristy says, "That's all. I hope you had fun at your friend's house."

I had far from fun at my friend's house. I'm not even sure if Julia counts as my friend. She used to be a family enemy, after all. She is the daughter of the woman that is planning to kill me. How do I explain that kind of relationship to anyone?

I sit down in my room and open up my computer. I curious whether Marcia Quintana wiped all her online files too. I plan to hack into her computer through all the saved data that I kept when I hacked it with Julia. I might be able to find some more information

I start to break down firewalls and get information. All the files are still there. I guess Marcia Quintana was too lazy to delete them. Maybe she was too smart to bother. It's almost impossible to truly delete files from the internet. Once they are there, they are there forever.

I find the Diane file. I open it up and find new information typed near the bottom.

It's a past analysis of all the things I said at the Assembly meeting. She speaks about my apparent weaknesses and strengths, just based on everything I said. And then she outlines possible responses to those comments.

Past the analysis is another outline. Everything she plans to say to me on Wednesday. There are comments on all the possible ways to fluster or confuse me. Several of them involve bringing up my father. A lot of them my mother. Almost all of them involve the actions of my grandfather.

She doesn't plan on just having another meeting to discuss my imaginary crimes.

She plans on talking me into the ground. She wants to tear apart my self confidence. Embarrass me in front of all the Assembly.

Killing me apparently isn't enough for her.