Part 1

A man dressed in a simple black suit walked by, balancing a tray of fluted wine glasses holding sparkling champagne. She sent a hopeful glance up at her father. He frowned. She knew what that look meant and she glared at him before turning to face the ballroom. Crossing her arms, she succeeded in not pouting. Her mind played back the conversation they'd had the day after their arrival in France.

"You're supposed to be twenty, Parker. Surely you remember being twenty, even though that was a little over five years ago."

She bit back a growl. "We're in France if you haven't noticed and I don't have to be twenty-one to drink."

John laughed. "As your fake father I feel that it is my duty to keep you from indulging. After all, if you can't drink in the States it wouldn't be responsible to let you drink here. Besides, this is you first time out; we don't want you to screw up."

She'd wanted to yell at him then, and she still wanted to do it now. She had no doubt that she played the part of the sullen daughter well. He was having too much fun with the charade. The jerk, when they got back to the United States she would get him back and she'd enjoy every minute of it. Although there was only so much she could do to the man since he was her superior.

Letting her gaze wander over the room she tried to get her mind back on the task at hand. She'd never seen so many beautiful and ornately dressed people in her life. That wasn't saying much, though. Being a tomboy herself as well as having friends comprised of sports and action-movie oriented males, she'd never been anyplace that needed a tuxedo or an evening gown.

A pinch at the back of her arm had her biting back a curse. Her "father" leaned down and whispered, "Have you seen him?"

Pasting on a fake smile, she answered without moving her lips. "Negative, but I'm sure the bastard will show up soon, sir."

He nodded and returned her smile with one of his own. "Let's hope so."

She returned to scanning the room. The floor mirrored everyone's formal attire. She felt defenseless though that could be because the dress didn't allow for proper concealment of a weapon. Now there was a thought; perhaps she'd design her own clothing line and name it Spy-Wear.

Snorting, she held back the laughter that threatened to erupt. She shifted her gaze down and saw her own reflection peering back, laughter still dancing in her blue eyes. She cleared her throat and frowned. She wasn't here to have fun; she was here to catch a traitor.

"Ah, why is such a beautiful, young lady frowning at such a time as this? I thought all you American girls wanted to feel like a princess." The man's thick accent didn't deter from his flawless English.

Her head snapped up and her eyes locked on the most intimidating man she'd ever met. The pictures she'd seen in his file didn't do him justice. He stood at least half a head taller than her "father" which was no small feat considering the fact that John Murdock towered over people at 6'3." The man's height wasn't even what she thought to be intimidating; his dark brown eyes were what really caught a person's attention. She tried not to fidget under his scrutinizing gaze. It must be what a field mouse felt like when it knows it's been spotted by a snake.

He took a step closer and leaned toward her. She fought the urge to step back. "I'll let you in on a secret, my dear. This is the closest you'll ever get to feeling like a princess."

The firm grip at her elbow brought her back to the task at hand, causing her to force an icy smile to the surface.

"Hello, Gerard. What brings you to this lovely party?" John asked.

"John, always a pleasure. Are you going to introduce me to your daughter?"

She stiffened and glanced at John beneath lashes carefully applied with mascara. It was obvious that the man knew she wasn't related to him. That observation led her to another. If he knew John, then their cover was blown. How do you catch a traitor when his accomplice knew you were there?

"Gerard Salles, this lovely, young woman standing next to me is my daughter, Annabelle. Everyone calls her Anna so-"

Her mind rebelled at that. Apparently they were going to mix a bit of truth with fiction. "My friends call me Anna, let's get that straight." Hell would freeze over before she let this guy get familiar.

"Ah, so you have decided I am not a friend. This hurts me, it truly does." He laid an open palm over his heart and gave a great performance of looking wounded.

Rolling her eyes and turning away, she said, "I'm sure you'll get over it, Monsieur Salles."

Gerard smiled at her, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. Icy fingers danced along her skin. It wasn't a nice smile, more like a wolf's grin than anything else. "I'm very rarely treated to such hostility. I must admit it is quite refreshing."

Anna scoffed and strode toward the balcony leaving the two men to talk amongst themselves. She wasn't here to pretend to be buddy-buddy with the bastard. She did admit to herself that at some point she was going to have to get close to Gerard Salles. He was the way to their leak. Bracing her arms on the railing, she leaned out and inhaled deeply, enjoying the floral scent of the immaculate gardens below the French ambassador's mansion.

A rustling below in the bushes drew Anna's attention. A couple was kissing passionately near a rose bush.

"Jacques, no, we cannot."

The man, Jacques, said something low in French causing the woman to giggle. Anna smiled and shook her head.

"Eavesdropping is very unbecoming in a lady."

Anna jumped and felt heat rush to her cheeks. "Sneaking up on someone is equally unbecoming, as you put it." She turned and studied the shadowed figure in front of her.

He smiled, his white teeth showing vividly against the darkened background of the balcony. "You're not even going to deny it?"

She shrugged. "What's the point?"

"This is true. You're American? I've been here for four days and I've only just now come across you. I'm getting tired of hangin' around foreigners. It gets boring after a while."

Anna nodded absently as she glanced over the stranger's shoulder to keep John and Gerard in view. The stranger turned and followed her gaze with his own.

"Your family won't get mad that you're talking to me will they?"

"My family?"

"Yeah, your dad and brother."

"He's not my brother."

The man's smile faltered. "Boyfriend?"

She smiled at the attempted pick-up. Deliberately evading his question she said, "Sorry to rush off, but they probably will get upset. They're a bit overprotective." She shrugged and smiled sheepishly. "First time in a foreign country and all that. I should get back anyway."

He nodded, looking crestfallen. He stepped aside, allowing her to pass. "I hope I'll be seeing you again."

Anna laughed. "You don't even know who I am."

He returned her smile, watching her walk back to her family. "You'd be surprised how much I know about you, Annabelle Parker," he said to himself.