Part 5

"Daddy?" Anna walked up to Murdock, an innocent expression painted on her face. "I found another American. He's here on business and all alone, so I figured he could sit with us tonight." She stood aside as Gabriel walked up next to her.

John Murdock's face showed an almost imperceptible moment of surprise, and Anna wasn't sure that it had even been there because in the next instant a steady smile appeared on his face.

Turning toward her, John said, "That's a nice idea, but I've just invited Monsieur Salles to join us at our table."

Anna was taken aback. He was getting a little too friendly with the Frenchman. She glanced at Gabriel and he nodded. She drew her bottom lip through her teeth and struggled to ignore the sick feeling in her stomach.

"Ah, my dear, you still owe me a full dance." Gerard joined them and sent a scathing look at Gabriel. "I don't believe we've been properly introduced. I am Gerard Salles. I am in consulting," he said, holding out a hand.

Anna wanted to laugh. The only consulting this guy did was telling terrorists where American weaknesses were located. She knew that in order to get Gabriel alone with Murdock she'd have to put herself on the chopping block.

Gabriel reached for the proffered hand and nodded. "I'm—"

"A friend of the family. Come on, Monsieur, I believe a waltz is starting." Anna grabbed Gerard's hand and led him onto the dance floor.

"Well, I cannot refuse a lady's request, can I, gentleman?"

The second the reached the dance floor and were hidden among the several couples Gerard's demeanor changed. "You are either very brave or very stupid, Anna."

Her smile slipped and her eyes widened in shock. "What?"

"I've been working very hard to keep you're stupid people in the dark. Then suddenly out of nowhere I am discovered, but how much do you really know?"

Anna's jaw dropped and her tongue struggled to form the words her mind was sending.

She tried to pull away, but the cool, familiar texture of a gun barrel against her ribs quickly ended her struggles. She glanced back where she'd left John and Gabriel. The two of them were heading outside, John following close behind Gabriel. "Stupid, stupid!" she hissed at herself.

"It really is a pity that one of us grew a conscience. Our little enterprise was becoming lucrative," Gerard whispered as he led her out to the gardens.

She was pushed past the rose gardens and into a shrub maze at the center of the mansion's grounds. The darkness grew as their distance from the embassy spread. Shock wouldn't let her mind register the fact that she was being held at gunpoint and that her superior was most likely dead or dying.

Anna was suddenly jerked to a stop. They'd reached the center of the maze. She glanced up at Gerard. His breath was coming in fast and hard. Realization dawned at that moment. He was afraid. She fought to hide a smirk, but didn't succeed.

"What is funny?" His grip on her arm tightened.

She gasped. The pain made her smug attitude diminish, but that didn't stop the words that followed. "I knew you were a weasel the moment you spoke to me. Now, I know you're a scared weasel."

"That smart mouth of yours is going to get you killed," he said as he shoved her into the maze's center ahead of him.

She stumbled forward and into the back of the man she knew as Gabriel. He jerked around and caught her before she toppled on her butt. "So, you've decided to join the party?'

She drew back her fist and swung, catching him on the jaw. "I never should have listened to you."

Gabriel glared at her. He turned his head and spit blood on the ground in front of the Frenchman, causing the man to jerk back a step. "Never thought someone so small could hit so hard."

Anna took a step toward him. "You son of a—"

"I've had enough of this. Both of you get over by the fountain."

She turned and stared dumbly at the man issuing the command. "Murdock?"

Gabriel leaned over and whispered, "Told you so."

John stepped forward, shaking his head. "I'm truly sorry it had to end like this, Parker. You had a promising future. It's too bad that you got into a fight with our suspect. At least you can die knowing you went out like a hero."

"What are you talking about?" She glanced over at Salles who still stood in the shadows a few feet behind them.

"It's simple really. You tried to apprehend Salles, but he got the upper hand and shot you. Not to worry though, he didn't get away with it." John punctuated the statement with a bullet to Salles's head.

He walked toward the body and picked up the Frenchman's gun with one gloved hand. "I've killed your murderer and apprehended an information dealer at the same time. All that's left to do is kill the two of you with his gun."

Anna stepped forward. "That's really clever, Murdock, but how are you going to explain away his death? Why would Salles kill some random American?"

"Why don't you tell her who you are, Mr. NSA?"

Gabriel turned and smiled sheepishly. "Well, at least you know for sure I'm not the traitor."

John strode toward them. "Now which one of you wants it first? I think I'll kill you second, Parker. Technically speaking, this guy doesn't exist anyway." He trained the barrel of the 9mm Beretta at the center of Gabriel's head.

He closed his eyes and waited for it.

The sharp crack of gunfire broke through the dark silence of the garden. Murdock grabbed at his chest, trying to stop the flow of blood. A look of surprised panic was stamped on his face as he crumpled to the ground.

Anna looked at the gun in her hand. It was shaking. She dropped her arms to her sides and stared at her former boss, blood pooling around his body. Hers felt like rubber.

Gabriel's gaze moved from her face to the small gun in her hand and back several times. Finally, he said, "You've got to be kidding me. Who goes around carrying a Derringer in their dress? This isn't 1865."

A small smile touched her lips. "My grandfather collects all sorts of guns. He gave this to me when I got into the academy. I thought I was silly for bringing it." Her voice trailed off as her gaze once again fell on the dead man at their feet.

Gabriel watched a single tear roll down her cheek. He turned her away from the scene and drew her into a hug. "Thank God you did."