Chapter Twenty Six

"Okay, first of all, I don't get angry with all the time, and I sure as hell don't touch you when I want." I said, "I only touch you when you think it's okay."

He tilted his head, his hand raising once more to run his fingers through the ends of my braided hair, his eyes tracking the movement.

"What do you mean?"

I threw him an aggravated look, which he didn't catch because he was looking at his hand.

"Rafe, the only time we ever touch, if what we're doing is even called touching, is when you initiate it."

He looked back up at me and a furrow formed between his eyebrows.

"And this...bothers you?" He asked.

"Of course it does! I never touch you without you doing it first, scared that you're going to rip into me like the first time. And even when you do touch me you use gloves. I'm not saying you have to touch me, I'm just saying this whole selective touching plus the gloves thing makes me feel..." I made a face, "Like I have a disease or something."

The furrow between his eyebrows turned into a full-on frown.

He let go of my hands, but didn't step away. I brought my hands in front of me to cross it.

He looked down at them, before looking back up at me.

"You do not have a disease." He said.

I rolled my eyes, "Around you, I feel like I do." I said.

"It is how we are, Hills. We do not touch." He said.

"Which is fine," I explained, "Either touch me or don't. I don't want the crumbs off your table."

I moved to pick up the cup that had fallen and stared regretfully at the spilt broth.

He came to stand beside me, "This is not how I intended you to feel." He said and I looked at him and I realised...he seemed disturbed.

I waved my hand, "Don't worry about it, Rafe. Our cultural differences are too wide for us to ever have a relationship that isn't turbulent."

I looked back at the cup, "Also, you spilt my broth. It's created a mess." I said.

His eyes flicked to my cup, then back up at me, he turned around to face me and I did the same.

"I will have this cleaned and I will get you some more," he said.

I just shook my head, "I've lost my appetite anyway." I said.

He leaned forward, "Amour, you have not eaten since yesterday afternoon."

I sighed, "I know. I'm just...I just don't want to." I said and turned, heading to the door, running my bracelet over the Identity Screen and leaving the room, my heart heavy.

I walked to the end of the room where the compartments to dispose cups and bowls were. Then I walked back to where the couches were.

Wolf and Freesia stood when they saw me and Wolf raised his eyebrows.

"What'd she say?" Freesia asked me. It took me a few seconds before I realised she was talking about Anya.

My shoulders slumped, "She seemed okay with it, but Rafe said no." I said.

"Are you okay?" Wolf asked, cupping my cheek.

I jolted a little at the contact, before nodding glumly.

"You don't look okay," he said.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"No, seriously." He said, then placed a hand on my forehead.