Caterer, Caterer - Pemi Aguda

Okay, we are doing a short story this time; one that is only published as part of an anthology as yet, and is available online if you care to read. We hope you care.

We developed interest in this story because it is quite the spectacular read, and we are not the only ones that think so- Caterer, Caterer won the 2015 Writivism Short Story Prize (Writivism is a project of the Centre for African Cultural Excellence. Since 2012, Writivism has identified, mentored, published and promoted emerging African writers resident on the continent). It is published on the online munyori journal and the Roses for Betty Anthology.

"Caterer, Caterer is a very vivid short story telling the story of a servant girl-turned-wife of her former master, Biyi, who only began showing affection towards her after he loses use of his legs. The eponymous and unnamed caterer is at the employ of a new-found church growing so quickly in number and in wealth, and is on her hurried way to the rather deserted site of the church where she's offered a kitchen to cook for the church's foundation laying ceremony for a building news had would be taller and bigger than anyone she'd seen. Caterer knows food, and ingredients, and such; that's for a certain. But what she doesn't know (or expect) is that not all ingredients leave a yummy feeling in your stomach. Some can prove gut-wrenching, and horrendous at their mere sight.

Follow caterer in this little sweet-sour brief tale of food, marriage, and juicy church gossip. Doesn't the title sound juicy on its own?"

~Courtesy: Meet Africa on Wattpad.

____________________________________________________________________________________

About the Author: "Pemi Aguda writes short stories and flash fiction. Her stories have appeared in The Kalahari Review, Black Fox Literary Magazine, Prufrock Magazine, The Wrong Quarterly and the TNC anthology 'These Words Expose Us' among others. "Caterer, Caterer" is shortlisted [currently is the winner] for the 2015 Writivism Short Story Prize."

~Courtesy, munyori.org ( Munyori Literary Journal is a Zimbabwean-American literary platform that features works from global writers and artists. The word 'munyori' is Shona for "writer" or "author")

___________________________________________________________________________________

What we think:

Come on, a short story that gives you all that, at a give-away (you can just find it online and read), and you ask what we think?

Ok, we'll play along: here's what we think- one word: awesome!

It's 5 minutes of your time (or shorter; but we advice you savour the read and be in the story alongside caterer) worth your time, trust us.

And, yet again, it has a female main character.

This is falling right into a pattern, isn't it? There is undoubtedly more African stories out there with female main characters than male.

Well, nuff said. Just go on ahead, read it. (It's on munyori.org)

And also, say what you think about it in the comments section. You're also free to disagree or agree with our assertion that there are more female leads in African stories than male leads. . .

. . . and/or say whatever else you think, and suggest more stories we can wrap-up for you. (We only "wrap-up" to entice you into reading more of it. And they're all worth the read).

So, there you have it- Caterer, Caterer; and until next time,

have a wonderful weekend ahead.

SIDENOTE: We would like to advice all you african writers here on wattpad to join (or at least explore) writivism, and what it is all about. It will seriously help your career as a writer. So yea, do it!