Heat Chapter 2

Helen was impressed by Captain Jack Lang, his base and the way he had managed to convince one hundred trained and loyal navy and military men to work with him to secure one safe place in Mosman. His clever use of blocking streets mean the marauding braindeads could be contained until shot. Hell would close over if he ran out of bullets but he said he had a good supply of weapons.

She'd happily spend the rest of her life in the fenced-off military quarters on the compound if Snaffles could live there too, but the baby elephant was crying real tears outside the building while she took a quick shower and changed into a spare set of military trousers and tee shirt. Sleep. She craved it but there was no time to enjoy even the pleasure of blow-drying her shoulder-length brown hair. The best she could do was to brush it and race back outside to Snaffles.

Peter met her as soon as she exited. The navy residence, which housed both navy and the army commandos contained small bedrooms with single beds and several communal bathrooms. Peter had been standing guard so she had privacy.

He leaned in close. "Hmm, you smell good."

Helen grinned. "Enough to eat?"

"My favorite activity." His eyes lit up.

"Can't wait." Helen smiled. Flirting 101. Funny how being the only available woman on the base had increased her confidence.

"Nor can I."

A sigh of lust left her lips. Her regulation army trousers slipped down her bottom. She grabbed at them and laughed. "Look, I'm about to lose my duds."

"I got the size you asked for but it looks like they're too big." He reached down and tightened her belt, taking the opportunity to span her waist with his big hands.

"Must have lost more weight than I thought." Enforced starvation had seen her whittled down to way below her goal weight. She'd never been a slim woman before.

"You have a terrific figure. I can squeeze you between my hands."

"Terror and tinned food make for a good diet," she joked. Truth was she'd barely recognized herself in the mirror.

"These trousers will do for now but there's no way you need to wear a uniform. Adam and I will scout around in some of the rich houses and find you something nice to wear."

Her heart warmed at his kindness. Despite the openness of the hallway and the fact there were other military men coming and going from their rooms, Peter leaned forward like he couldn't help himself and locked his lips on hers.

A groan of pleasure left her lips and she opened her mouth to welcome him.

It was all the encouragement he needed and Peter wrapped his arms around her. His tongue teased hers and she rolled her hips forward rubbing herself along the hard shaft evident under his uniform. Seeking. Craving.

"Keep it clean, Corporal." Peter and Helen jumped apart.

"Ma'am," a man with a name tag that read Vassar said. "Welcome to the base."

Helen nodded back aware that her cheeks were flaming. What was wrong with her? She was so sex crazed, she would have done it standing up in the corridor. From the looks of him, Peter was no better.

He stood kissing distance away as if he couldn't bear to let her out of his slight. Lust zipped through her and she had to resist the urge to pull him close again. It had been a long, long time since a man had been complimentary toward her, but she was aware of the other military men in the corridor and hadn't missed the looks of agonized desire. Life was short, tough and brutal. Helen gave Peter's hand a squeeze. "Let's go outside to Snaffles."