Chapter Thirty

The Peccata was present during the wedding. They were all dressed in attire customary in the Huo Empire, and they all were practically brimming with happiness, a glow on each of their faces. Fang was laughing and smiling more than I had ever seen of him, his stoic expression morphed into a cheerful one. Bohai genuinely looked happy, beaming from ear to ear and drinking wine with the other guests.

I was seated at the front of the main hall, clad in a heavily adorned dress that was so beautiful that I had almost cried when I wore it. I hadn't even thought that I would get married a few months ago and here I was, dressed so prettily and actually having a chance at marriage.

My hair was pulled and styled, silver jewelry pinned and woven through it. My face was dusted with cosmetics. Even I couldn't deny that I was beautiful today—more beautiful than I thought I would look.

Meilin was sitting next to me and throughout the entire reception, wore a somewhat bored expression, something dark glimmering in his eyes. He had smiled here and there, laughing at something when appropriate, but there was something lingering in his gaze that I had never seen before.

He was looking even more handsome than I had thought was possible for him. His hair was nicely done like always, he was dressed crisply and in fancy attire.

I hadn't spoken a word to him throughout the entire ceremony. We had done the various rituals—holding hands and sharing a cup of water, which symbolizing our life together since water was eternal, and agreeing to the Vows of the Spirits, to cherish and remember our bloodlines and to promise the continuation of life—but I hadn't spoken out of obligation. Even now as I sat next to him, watching as various people drank and ate, I couldn't help but feel an anxious knot in the pit of my stomach.

"You're not hungry?" Meilin asked as he pushed a piece of chicken on his plate. His eyes were on me and it was the first time he had spoken to me during the wedding.

"Not really," I murmured.

"You'll need your strength for tonight." The corner of his mouth lifted in a half-tilt of a smirk, mischief and a knowing look glowing within his dark eyes.

I hesitantly reached forward for the glass of water set beside the food lain out for us. Taking slow sips, my heart couldn't calm down. Staring at his eyes for too long made me feel like I would burst.

I was married to the emperor.

I was married to Drakkon Meilin.

That thought was both exciting and thrilling. I was slightly scared of what the future had for us, but I was determined to survive through and handle him.

After all, I was Yin Daiyu, the woman married to the Dragon.

"Weddings have always been boring to me," he mused as he leaned back against the giant, cushioned seat we were both on. He tipped back his glass and gulped down the contents of it. "It should be fun, I suppose, but I've never liked huge crowds. Imagine my surprise when I realized leading an army meant big crowds." His dry humor would've made me smile if I wasn't so tense. He was watching the people all around, his gaze softening when he saw Nikator and Remus dancing. "I suppose seeing them having fun is good enough compensation."

I nibbled onto a fruit that was near me. It was sweet but my insides were still as tight as ever, my shoulders stiff and my mind a whir of thoughts.

"Why are you so silent today?" he asked, leaning forward to graze a finger against my cheek before withdrawing his hand. "You're more quiet than usual."