Prologue

Alessio

"Boss... We got a problem. You need to come to the basement," a harsh voice came through the phone that I was holding next to my ear.

"I'm coming," I replied to my second in command. I didn't like his tone. It told me something was really bad. His nervousness made me nervous. Viktor was a tough son of a bitch and if something got him this riled up then it was something big. Something that I really wouldn't like.

I got up from my chair, and walked out of the room. I saw a few of my men in the hallway and the bowed their head in respect as I walked by. Even though they were my men, I commanded respect from all of them.

As I walked into the dark hallway that led to the basement, I felt my body tensed up. The air around me was rigid and my steps were hard against the silence, as I prepared myself for the worst.

When I opened the door, the first person that I noticed was Viktor. He was leaning against the wall, his head cast down in defeat. He looked lost and so deep in his thoughts, that didn't think he even heard me enter. I cleared my throat and he quickly looked up.

His face was filled with horror and disgust. "Boss, it's bad," Viktor said as he pointed towards the room. I felt my shoulder tense and I nodded. I started walking towards the room, leading the way while Viktor fell into steps behind me.

I stomped inside to find a bruised and bloodied man strapped to a chair that was placed in the middle of the empty room. There were five of my men standing around him, all who I recognized very well. They were my right-men.

I didn't recognize the captive but when he looked up at me, his eyes were filled with terror. As I got closer, his already paled face twisted in pain. He squirmed in the chair when I came to stop in front of him.

"What the fuck is going on?" my voice boomed around the room. I didn't take my eyes off the man but when I saw him flinched, satisfaction coursed through my body. The fucker better be petrified.

Viktor walked around me so that he was standing behind the man. He grabbed the captive's hair and pulled hard until his neck snapped back painfully. The man screamed and started to trash around.

I lifted my eyes from the battered captive to meet Viktor's disgusted gaze.

"The fucker betrayed us. I heard him spilling information over the phone to the enemy. The f*cking Italians. He's working for them," Viktor growled.

I looked down at the man and his eyes were closed, refusing to look at me. The anger that took over my body was undescriptable. He f*cking betrayed me. Me. The. Mafia. Boss.

Nobody betrayed me and got away with it. I trusted all my men. They were my family but when one of my own betrayed me, they would pay the only way that was acceptable. Death. Painful death.

Taking a deep breath and schooling my features, I took a step away from the strapped man.

"Bring me a chair," I yelled. I saw one of my men scrambling back, doing as I commanded.

"Here you go, Boss," Phoenix said a minute later. He placed the chair behind me and bowed his head as he stepped away.

I sat down and faced the motherf*cker. He opened his eyes and stared directly at me. My temper flared. I leaned forward and snarled into his face. "Why?"

He started shaking but refused to answer. I looked up and signaled to Viktor. He let the man go and walked towards the table at the back of the room. He came back with a cutter in his hand.

I smiled maliciously and leaned back against the chair, crossing my arms at my chest.

"Now let the fun begin," I said as I nodded at Viktor.