and for you I would

Charlie objected strenuously to my proposal of going undercover among the prostitutes of Whitechapel to find Emer.

"Odd 'un, look at you; listen to you. You'd spook 'em." He eyeballed me over his teacup. We were back in the Maplin Road kitchen.

"Hey," I protested weakly, because I knew he was right. "How about you, then?"

Charlie, mid-sip, almost spat out his tea. "As what?" he said.

I eyed him and raised an eyebrow suggestively.

"Bloody hell, odd 'un." He set down his cup and howled with laughter. "I'm half-tempted," he said, puffing out his chest. "Reckon I'd make a pretty nancy boy? 'Course, business is better for that type up Piccadilly way from what I hear. Us East End men is more traditional."

"You could do it, though," I said. "You could question the women about Emer."

He gave me a long-suffering look and sighed. "I could, odd 'un, and for you I would."

You're finding your future wife, I thought to myself. "Thank you," I said, leaning over the table and pecking him on the cheek.

An hour later, he stomped out of the house. Mrs. Lawrence asked where he was going; his reply was: "Ask Emma, mum. I'll be back in a few hours."

Mrs. Lawrence turned her gaze on me. "He's just running an errand," I said sweetly.

"I hope you know what you're doing, luvvie," said Mrs. Lawrence, shaking her head.

I was about to reply, then reconsidered. I had the feeling Mrs. Lawrence had more in mind than Charlie's "errand".

I waited in the kitchen until the sun had gone down and the temperature had plunged. Amy had come in, stuck her head into the kitchen to say hello, and vanished upstairs. Mrs. Lawrence had dozed off in her chair; I could hear the snores coming from the front room. I heard the latch click and jumped up.

"Well?" I said.

"Nothing," said Charlie. "Sorry, odd 'un. The girls said Emer had been there for a while, they hadn't seen her for ages, 'cept one night a coupler weeks ago."

"I wonder if that was around when she gave up Alice," I said.

"Could be," said Charlie. "At any rate, they ain't seen her since. Sorry I couldn't bring you more news."

"Thank you for trying, Charlie," I said.

He gave me a half-smile. "Come here," he said.

I went, and he enveloped me in a hug. "We'll find her, you'll see."

I breathed in his scent, listened to the beating of his heart, and wondered whether I even wanted to find Emer Connolly. Because if I found her, I'd have to give him up.

* * *

"How can I help you, Miss Scott?" said Miss Carstares. Her nails were beautifully manicured, and her dress screamed bespoke.

"I've been thinking," I said. "I am so impressed by what you're doing here. I want to help more than just by doing filing. Is there anything else you need help with?"

"Oh." Miss Carstares set down her pen. "Well, I appreciate your initiative, Miss Scott."

"I strive to follow your example," I said. I felt like I might throw up a little in my mouth.

"How well did you study your English grammar?" she asked.

"Very well--deeply," I said, hoping she wouldn't ask me about the parts of speech.