Chapter 13

ELLIE

As I swept up the pieces of the glass I'd thrown at the door and tipped them into the bin, a shard pierced my thumb.

"Bloody typical," I muttered, sucking my thumb and glaring at the offending glass. Yeah, like it was a responsible for the total balls-up before.

Why the hell had I told Finn the truth? I could've pushed him away, fired him, made him leave, but the minute he'd started spouting all that romantic crap about staying around for me, I'd lost it. Completely.

Deep down, I knew why.

I yearned. Yearned to have what he had with his family. Yearned to have that closeness, that bond, that mayhem. The stories he'd told during our time together over the last week highlighted chaos, siblings that bickered and fought and teased, but siblings who would fight to the death to stand up for family.

It made me want kids all the more and I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit to envisaging a bunch of tousled-auburn-haired brats with eyes as blue as their father's.

I was that far gone with Finn.

Finn, with his roguish smile and crinkly eyes and sex-me-up Irish accent.

Finn, who was ten frigging years younger than me though seemed more mature.

Finn, who made me laugh, who made me feel feminine, who made me...whole. Whole in a way I hadn't felt for a long time, not since I'd lived with Dougal in a picture-perfect three-bedroom brick cottage with a yard waiting to be filled with our ragamuffin kids.

Tears filled my eyes again and I reached for the nearest anesthetic: tequila, straight up.

Finn and I were over.

I'd get Kye to fire him and put him on a Melbourne-bound train or plane. That would be the end of it.

I sloshed a triple shot of tequila into a glass and slammed it down, straight. The alcohol scorched a trail from my throat to my gut, but it did little to burn away the pain making me clutch my chest.

Nothing would help ease that pain. I knew that firsthand. It took me a year to get over Dougal.

It would take an eternity to get over Finn.

In the meantime, I needed to feel nothing. Numb.

This time, I filled the glass to the brim.