―ii. sweet tooth

―ii. 

Apparently Sid’s Bakery & Cafe is the best bakery in the city. Or so Marceline’s been told. She’s never been there until today because her mother suddenly had the craving for red velvet cake―specifically Sid’s red velvet cake.

Like, a whole cake to herself. And at ten-thirty in the morning. On a Saturday.

Pregnant women, seriously.

Marceline is instantly met with the mouthwatering smells of coffee and baked goods when she walks inside. She walks up to the counter where the only employee there is reorganizing the pastries in the display case.

“Hi, I’m here to pick up an order for a red velvet cake?”

He straightens up and she gasps. It’s him―the boy whose name she still does not know. He smiles when he sees her.

“Oh God...”

“Hey you! What are you doing here?” he asks and Marceline just gives him a look.

“...Picking up the red velvet cake I ordered.”

“Right. Let me get that for you,” he says with a smile so bright that Marceline has to physically reel back from it’s shine. She seriously doesn’t understand how he can be so cheerful in the morning. On a Saturday (there is something incredibly wrong with him). He disappears into the back room where she guesses all the cakes are held and comes back two minutes later with a small white box.

“That’ll be thirty-two fifty,” he says as Marceline rummages in her shorts pockets for the money her mom gave her. He leans on the counter.

“So, uh, I never got your name,” he says.

“That’s because I never told you,” Marceline replies.

“Oh. Well, I’m Preston. You can call me Prez though, most people do,” he tells her and she says nothing in response.

“We should go see a movie together sometime. What do you think?” he asks.

Marceline finally pulls out a bunch of crumpled bills and puts them on the counter, then grabs the box of cake.

“No thanks,” she says and leaves as quickly as possible.

.

.

She’s about three blocks from her house when she realizes he wrote something on the box. Scrawled messily in black ink are the words “Call me xx ;)” followed by a cell phone number. She contemplates throwing out the whole thing. And then she thinks about going back there and throwing the actual cake in his face. She also considers suing for sexual harassment.

She doesn’t do any of those things though.

.

.

(because okay, maybe he is kind of cute)