-v. horoscope

—v. horoscope

“Hey, so what’s your sign?” Prez asks, looking up from his iPhone for just a moment. He’s sitting in one of the many beanbag chairs that are littered around the comic book store as Marceline works on reorganizing the shelves.

She sets a Deadpool graphic novel down and turns to narrow her eyes at him.

His own eyes widen and he puts his hands up in an apologetic manner. “I didn’t mean for that to sound like a pick-up line I swear to God,” he says immediately, “But seriously, what’s your sign?”

Marceline crosses her arms over her chest and looks at him with suspicion. “Why do you need to know?” she asks.

“There’s this app on my phone. I’m testing our compatibility with each other,” he replies.

Marceline snorts. “You actually believe in that horoscope crap? That’s cute.”

“You think I’m cute?” He grins stupidly. That would be the only thing he hears.

“You completely ignored the first half of that statement,” she points out, “Also, I didn’t say that you were cute, specifically. I called your belief in horoscopes cute. So.”

“I’m still taking the compliment!”

Marceline rolls her eyes and picks up a box full of figurines and heads up the stairs to the stores upper level where all the other merchandise that aren’t comic books are sold. 

“Don’t you have a job to go to,” she says as she walks up the stairs. Prez gets out of his seat and grabs another of the boxes then follows after her.

“I’m on my lunch break,” he says with that stupid grin of his, “Hey where do you want this?”

“Just put it anywhere,” she says and begins to put away the items in her own box, “So what are you doing here then?”

“Huh?” He browses through a rack of  superhero t-shirts.

“If you’re on your lunch break break shouldn’t you, I dunno, be eating lunch?”

He looks up at her, a Batman t-shirt in his hands. “I work in a bakery,” he says as if this explains everything, “Also, is it so hard to believe that I just like your company?”

She raises an eyebrow at him.

“Well I do,” he tells her, “Even if all you do is insult me and call me mean names. I know you actually like me though.  If you were an anime character you’d be one of those tsundere ones.”

She laughs before she can stop herself. “You’re such a dork.”

“I’m also a Taurus,” Prez says, leaning on the t-shirt rack,  “And you?”

And okay, she has to admit, that was smooth as fuck. She’s pretty much obligated to tell him now.

She turns her head so he won’t see the wide smile on her face when she says,

“Scorpio.”