Chapter 24 - Running In The Family

***LUCA***

Not long after Alex and his mom go home, most of the Second 'Verse denizens make their way back home. Park and Russell stay behind to drive the rest of us back home. The former takes me, Mattia, and Gideon back to the Bay Area, where the summer sun is finally starting to shine again after the storm passed on by (it's now whipping up the surf up on the southern coast of Oregon, according to a news update on my phone). Along the way, I get an idea, and when I propose it, Mattia vehemently expresses her rejection.

"Come on," I say, hating how whiny I sound. "You have to see the family, just once!"

"You remember what happened the last time I was in that house, right?" Mattia shakes her head. "I don't exactly want to repeat the experience."

"Everyone misses you," I say. "Sincerely."

"Don't get all Stand By Me on me," Mattia groans.

Gideon, who's sitting in the front seat, turns around and says, "Hey, if I were you, I'd at least consider going for it."

Mattia pushes her hair behind her ears. "I am considering it," she says. "And...well, Luca obviously wants it. Maybe Marco and Gio too. But Mom and Dad?"

"They've been wishing for you to come back for years," I say. "You really think they wouldn't welcome you back like the prodigal s-daughter?"

Mattia scoffs. "Nobody would. I mean, who fats a calf anymore? And besides...what the hell is a 'stotter?'"

"Stop fighting me on this," I say, pulling out my phone so I can text Mom and let her know I'm coming home. "You're coming home, and you're gonna surprise the rest of the family."

She slumps in her seat, her arms and legs draped everywhere. I'll take that as a yes. Or, more accurately, a surrender.

A couple of hours later, Park takes us through San Francisco. The traffic is heavy - we're not the only people coming back home. After we left Garza's office, he oversaw what ended up being the final phase of San Francisco's evacuation before Holly's army received their orders to give up the fight. The scrivs never made it to the outskirts of the Bay Area - the closest they got in the end was just west of Davis - but for a while, it looked as if they were going to wipe everything from there to the Pacific off the map. Right now, the mayor's giving a press conference at SF City Hall, in which he explains the situation and promises to bring in scrivs to substantiate his story.

"As soon as I get you guys home," Park says, "that's gonna be my next job. I'm gonna help reveal the existence of scriv-kind."

"How much are you gonna tell the world?" I ask.

"The basics," Park says. "Just that we're from another universe, and our president went bad and decided to get all exterminate-y, but in reality we mean you no harm."

"What about the Guardians?" Mattia asks.

"That's...gonna stay under wraps for a while," Park says, switching lanes to the right - ironically, the slow lane is the fastest one right now. "The Guardian program kinda depends on staying secret, so..."

"Whatever happened to full disclosure?" I ask.

Park smiles dangerously. "All in good time."

The traffic gets even heavier the deeper into the city we go, so eventually, Park mutters, "Screw it," and takes the next exit. "Sorry, guys, but I really need to meet Mr. Mayor at his press conference. Would you guys be okay with flying back home?"

We all glare at him for a second, but then I say, "Yeah, I guess. It's an easy distance. More for Gideon than for me and Mattia, but that's all right."