Chapter Three - Unforeseen Happenings

"Kaitlyn... You're not serious, are you?" Jordan questioned, in disbelief beyond disbelief.

"Yes... Yes, I am." I said, hesitantly. "What are the odds of that?" I placed my face in my hands and let out a loud sigh.

"I officially hate you." She shook her head. "Actually, I wish that I was you... I really do."

"I know you do; who doesn't want to me?" I said rolling my eyes. "I'd actually happily trade places with you..."

"I'm well aware of this... You'd trade places with virtually anyone." She raised an eyebrow.

"That is not true!" I jokingly protested, crossing my arms. "Actually, it is very true."

"Ooh, look who's outside!" She said, pressing her face up against my bedroom window, as she gripped my hair tightly, pulling my head toward the window.

"Ouch! Did you really need to pull my hair?" I glared at her.

"Yes, yes I really did need to pull your hair. Stop whining. Look." She said, pointing at my window.

I shrugged. "So?"

"Kaitlyn. He. Is. Walking. This. Way. Toward. Your. Front. Door. He. Is. Coming. Here." Jordan said, taking a deep breath after every word, trying to refrain from completely losing it on me.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Oh my gosh, he's here!" she squealed in my ear, as she decided to take grip of both of my shoulders and shake me violently.

"Goodbye." I pushed her to the ground, as I rose to my feet, running down the stairs and toward the door.

I stopped several feet away from the door, as I tried to compose myself. I breathed in deeply a few times, before proceeding toward the door. Nervously, I reached toward the doorknob, my hands both slightly shaking. I froze. I could hear him moving around from the other side. My mind began to race and I didn't quite know why.

"Kaitlyn, are you going to get the door?" Hazel questioned me.

"Uh... Um... Uh... Yes, Yes I-I'm going to." I stammered.

"Do you want me to get the door for you?" She inched forward, slowly pulling my hand from the doorknob and replacing it with hers.

"No, I can get the door."

"Well, you're too late. I'll get it for you, now." She said, as she opened the door.

I backed away so I was not to be seen. I figured if she got a conversation started with him, it might be at least slightly easier on me- maybe lessen my increasingly bad nerves.

"Hi." She greeted him with a smile.

"Hi, is Kaitlyn here?" Riley answered her.

"I don't know, let me check behind this door." She said, trying to avoid her typical laughter. "Kaitlyn, are you here?" She questioned me, sarcastically.

"Really?" I folded my arms.

"Really." She smirked.

I appeared from behind the door as she walked away.

"Uh... Hi, Riley." I smiled, shyly, my head facing the floor.

"Do you hide behind doors often?" He questioned me, jokingly.

"Of course I do! Don't you?" I raised an eyebrow, as I let out a slight giggle.

"Oh, definitely." He said with a serious expression on his face.