Monsieur Philippe

It began on a summer morning of July 1658. Philippe, younger brother to the King and currently heir presumptive to the throne of France, awoke from his dream by the words. ''The King is well. He is cured, your grace.'' spoken by his man-servant. The first thought that entered his mind was: ''What? No.'' Of course Phil didn't want his beloved elder brother to die but he also wanted to be King. But he guessed it was for the better, nobody would want him as a King anyway. 

He strode down the lavish hallways of the palace in his finest robes, Phil always had a taste for fashion. Upon entering the room, his mother greeted him with a glee smile. 

''Did you hear mon chéri? Louis is cured. You won't have to be King after all.'' 

''God is gracious, brother.'' Louis spoke from his bed with all the courtiers standing around him. Phil hugged him trying to pretend he wasn't half sad. It was the first time in weeks they'd spoken to each other. The court's physicians demanded that Phil stay away from his from the King. After all Phil was his only brother and thus in the event that the King should die, he would succeed. 

That night the palace held a feast to celebrate the King's life. 

The hall was full of lavishly dressed nobles. As the doors opened Louis entered the banquet hall. After him followed Philippe, dressed in a blue satin and gold embroidered coat and matching breeches. The nobility standing at the side, admired them as they walked in. But one particular noble caught Phil's eye. A chevalier  dressed in an equally as pleasing suit. They couldn't keep their eyes of each other. Sitting next to the King, Phil never imagined anyone would stare at him. The chevalier raised an eyebrow cheekily. Phil made a gesture of 'What me?'.  After the King finished his speech, and about time too. Phil asked his mother sitting beside him who that cleverly dressed monsieur  was. ''That's Chevalier de Lorraine. His cousin is the duke.'' 

''Yes, but what was he christened?'' 

''I don't know, dear. Why don't you ask him?'' 

Phil ordered one of his man-servants to go up to him and ask. He saw his servant talk and return back to his table. ''Monsieur, he says his name is Daniel.''  

Left again to his own devices. Phil decided to go to a party at Saint-Cloud.