Visitor from the past.

chapter 3

 Crash landing on her back, Frisca moaned and tried to arrange herself. Feeling the swelling on her lower back, she sat up right and had a good look around. Her surroundings were hardly visible to her in the dark, which made it all the more complicated for her to conjure where she was.  “Oh no….It’s too dark in here…” She recoiled and pulled her knees to her chest. It was cold, and scary. Frisca had a phobia of dark places since she was a little girl. Darkness made her shiver with scary thoughts about ghost and monster, especially if she were alone in the dark.

“Relax, everything will be fixed. Because I just fell in a ditch,” She assured herself in a musical tone and hesitantly stood up. Singing was what she resorted to whenever she found herself surrounded by darkness. It was an old habit, taught to her by her grandpa. Frisca used to panic a lot in her childhood days, especially when her grandpa would force her to get his bottle of wine from the basement. She always had a sinking feeling that a pair of ghostly hands would seize her from behind if she were to enter any dark place alone. Hence, her grandpa came up with a simple solution. He advised her to keep singing in the dark so that her mind would be diverted from scary thoughts that troubled her. To some extent, it did help her, but the thought of ghostly hands grabbing her, never left her mind.

“The monster may like your voice and let you go.” Her grandpa had once winked and explained when she complained to him about her fears. Replaying the very words he had said, she build courage and walked around like a blind person. “Tori, can you hear me? Call for help, I’m stuck down here!” She gazed up and gave a loud call, but got no reply. “Tori, are you there?” She shouted again, but in vain. “Freak! What now? I don’t think he can hear me,” She ran her fingers through her hair and felt helpless. Having no other option she continued singing and walked in the darkness with no clue as to where she was heading.

“Ouch!  My nose!” she cried out in pain after banging into a dead end.

“Darn it,” she felt defeated and leaned against the wall. She realised that she was trapped and that there was no way she could get out even if she would scream her lungs out. As panic gripped in, she couldn’t take it anymore and hence stopped singing. Beads of sweat roll down her back as she contemplated what to do. The thought of becoming history and nobody ever knowing what had happened to her, made her all the more delirious. She brooded and cursed her luck. “Great, so this was how I was supposed to die. Follow a grey cat into a tree, then have an epic fall on the butt and then bang your head against a dead end. What a better send off could I’ve asked for?” she bit her lower lip and cussed.  

“I wondered what Tori would be doing out there? I hope he’s safe,” She sighed and imagined miners digging down the earth some day and then stumbling across her brittle skeleton.

“Meow!” the sudden cry of the cat startled her.

“Mr. Fluffy! Is that you?” Frisca’s sensed awakened as she began to search him in the darkness.

The cat cried again as if he were signalling her to follow his cries. Frisca turned and pressed her ear to the wall. That was when she realized, that the cries were coming from the other side.

"Is there a way out?” she crunched her brows and knocked on the wall. “Whoa! It’s hollow, this must be a door or something!” she exclaimed in utter relief. “Great so she won’t be dead after all,” she assured herself as the feeling of fear subsided in her.  Spreading her hands over the wall, she explored the wall in hopes of finding something that would help her exit. Much to her relief, she finally did. To the extreme right was a brass doorknob which she immediately grabbed and turned around. she found something, as she fingers ran through it, she realized it was a knob. And a knob only meant that it was a door.