Friends of the future

Chapter 5

The next morning began with Chelsea, convincing Frisca to get dressed for work. It was obvious that Frisca was reluctant to work at the museum, but what irked her more was the dress code that had to be followed.“I’m not wearing that, it’s just not my type” she protested and ran away from Chelsea.

“This is the dress code. You have to stick to it, whether you like it or not,”” Chelsea frowned and chased her around.

It was a bright sunny morning, the girls were arguing about the uniform that Chelsea had presented to her. Koru was having a good time, watching Chelsea run after her.  The uniform in general wasn’t that bad though, but neither were they appropriate  as per Frisca’s standards. It was a white shirt, with a black vest and black pleated skirt, which according to her was way too short.

“Frisca, you’re just overreacting, stop making a fuss and put this one before we get late,” Chelsea got irritted and threw the clothes at her.

“Give me one good reason why I should be wearing this to work?” Frisca raised her brows and demanded and explanation as Chelsea brushed her hair.

“Don’t you see, it makes us looks more feminine. The museum is always bustling with kids, it excites them to interact with the staff if they appear approachable,” Chelsea explained innocently and felt assumed that she had convinced her.

“Excites them, Eh! You mean the kids’ fathers, right? Frisca passed a sarcastic remark and dropped the skirt aside.

“Rules are rules” Chelsea said and shook her head. “If you have issues you can always speak to the manager,” she added and filled Koru’s bowl with milk

‘Fine! I’ll have a word with whoever your manager is, but for now I’m just going to wear the shirt and vest on my jeans” Frisca made it clear to her and stuck to her words, while Chelsea sighed in defeat.

Checking if everything was in place, they both left the apartment and headed for the stop where the train halted. Frisca was amazed at how the trains raced on the road with other futuristic vehicles. The city indeed looked charismatic in broad day light. It was still hard for our protagonist to accept that she had entered the future, it felt more like she was living in a sci-fic movie. When the train arrived, they rushed in and stood near the exit doors. Frisca leaned against the pole and  gazed out the window.

“Can I ask you something?” she broke her silence and asked Chelsea.

“Yes! Go ahead,” Chelsea replied and looked at her curiously.

“Mind explaining what the sky is doing down here, if this city is supposed to be underground?” she raised a quizzical brow and pointed out towards the window. Chelsea giggled and touched Frisca’s nose playfully.

“That’s because there is no sky, silly!” she answered with a grin on her face.

“Pardon me!” Frisca raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

Chelsea                 noticed the confused expression on her face and realised that Frisca wasn’t aware about the ways and life in the future. Hence twirling the ends of her hair, she smiled and began explaining the facts to her."The sky you see down here in Orion city is artificial. It’s like a virtual sky, a 3D hologram projection to be more specific,” she stated proudly and drew in a deep breath.

“Since it was always dark down here, people found it difficult to adjust to carry on with their lives. Therefore our engineers came up with this technology of creating an artificial sky. Not to mention the artificial seasons that we experience,” She concluded with a wink, before they got down at their destination.