31 | The Dinner, pt. 2

"Your mind's got a hold,

Your mind's got you holding the blade

'Cause when it feels like falling,

Then you're probably falling

When it feels like everybody's wrong then everybody's wrong,

Stop blaming yourself."

❁❁❁

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO Em-i-ly, happy birthday to you!" We sang and clapped in sync loudly. Yuko clasped a video camera in one hand, filming everyone as we sang our heart out for our dear Emily.

Was this what it feels like to belong? Never in a million years would I think that I would find so much happiness in this group of people that just a couple of months ago, I resented. Now, we strangely felt familiar, as if we've been friends all our lives. Even Asher, who wasn't here for whatever reason, was slowly starting to warm up to me. Not that I'd ever admit it, though.

We watched as Emily made her wish with her hands clasped tight and eyes shut, before blowing out all eighteen candles.

"Woo!" Logan cheered as Emily cut the cake, and when Emily least expected it, Logan swiped some cream frosting on his finger and smeared it on her tiny button nose. Emily squealed in shock before everyone burst out laughing.

I took charge of slicing the cake that I had taken such a long time to make. After we made sure everyone had a slice, we dug in.

"Ermagaghd," Logan moaned incoherently, mouth full of cake. "Ghish ish sho good!"

Everyone nodded in agreement, their mouths full of cake. Laughing, I thanked them.

"Okay," Reiko said, standing up. "Toast!"

Everyone simmered down and stared at Reiko as she cleared her throat and set her plate of half-eaten cake on the table. Reiko giggled lightheartedly when everyone turned their attention to her.

"You're finally legal!" she cheered. "That means it's not illegal if you and Asher— ahem, Logan, hands off my cake! Now where was I...Oh yeah! Also, thank you for being such a great friend to me! Stay amazing and beautiful and smart and kind and cool and—"

"Reiko," Yuko sighed loudly, giving his sister a pointed look. She shot us a sheepish look and apologised before sitting down, "Oops. I babbled."

"Any words from the birthday girl?" Robin asked, raising an eyebrow. Yuko turned his video recorder to Emily, who shied away from the camera.

"Thank you guys," she said softly, raising her eyes to meet the recorder. Managing a smile, she formed a heart with her two hands for the camera. "For everything."

We all clapped and aww-ed at her short but undeniably sweet message, causing her to blush brightly.

"Shall we open the presents now?" Logan suggested excitedly.

"Um, sure!" Emily said, and immediately everyone scrambled out of their seats to grab their presents, me included.

I grabbed the small teal box from my bag and rushed over to the table, where Logan and Reiko were already standing.

Shyly, I placed my gift on the table next to Logan's and Reiko's. Not before long, everyone returned and placed their gifts on the table for Emily.

One by one, Emily carefully peeled off the wrapping and opened her presents. The first one was Reiko's, a dainty necklace from Tiffany's.

"I hope you like it," Reiko said.