Moving On

It's a long one - I'm sorry ;}

“I’m going to do little mini interviews with each of them and then...”

“Don’t explain it to us.” Mike said, stopping her, “They’re the ones that need to know.” Tracy nodded. She understood. But this was her one shot, they had to understand, didn’t they?

*

She stood in the doorway for a moment, taking them all in. They were all there, happy, content, and blissfully unaware of what would disrupt their lives for the next week.

“Listen up,” They all turned to her. “I’ve been offered a job in London as a junior reporter for a newspaper. So I’m leaving.” She let it hang in the air.

“Look, I’ve dreamt of this job ever since I lived here, I’m sorry I can’t turn it down, it means too much.”

“Oh and we don’t?” Sapphire smirked. “Well that puts us in our place.”

“No, no I didn’t mean it like that...”

“Don’t beat yourself up Beaker, you’re just one in a long line of care-workers, easy come easy go right?”

She left, with Harry in tow.

“I’m not leaving yet...”

“I think this is great,” Carmen smiled, “You can write about us all, make us famous!”

“Well I don’t know about famous but, I’d like to write about you, I want you to tell me what it’s like to be in care.”

“You already know what it’s like to be in a care-home.” Liam snarled, “You wrote a book about it, didn’t you?”

“Well yeah, but the editor wants the article to be from your point of view, it’s kind of a test.”

“Alright, hold on a minute.” Tiffany said, she had been leaning against the fireplace, but now she stood forward, slamming her pack of playing cards on the table. “You wanna leave us, but you want our help. Sorry mate, that sucks.” She jerked her head at the boys, who stood up beside her as she went to leave the room.

“Tiffany, please...”

“You want out? Fine, go. You ain’t getting my help.” She turned and left, Liam followed her. Frank shrugged and left with them. Slowly, one by one, Tracy was left alone.

*

“Look, I know you’re all totally hacked off with me, and I’m sorry for upsetting you. But we care kids don’t get given breaks, so when an opportunity comes along, we’ve got to take it. That’s all I’m doing, don’t hate me for it.”

“That’s not why I hate you.” Sapphire smirked. “I hate you for conning us, giving it all that I’m there for you; we’re all care kids together. You are just using us so you can just move onto something better.”

“Is that what you all think?” She looked at them. No-one replied.

“Go on.” Sapphire said menacingly. Tracy took the hint, and left.

Liam tutted, and faced them all. “Guys, we’re all in this together, no-one helps.”

Tiffany pushed her chair and looked at him.

“What?” He asked, confused.

She laughed under her breath, turned and left him standing there. He looked annoyed for a second, before his well trained curtain fell over his face, and he grabbed a cookie from the plate on the table.