Broken Generation

Chapter Seven: Broken Generation

ROSE

"Do you need a ride home, Rose? We're dropping Kellin off on the way."

I shake my head as Vic sits next to me on the wall just outside the school, "I'm actually going somewhere with Austin. I want to be able to make up for all the lost years; if I'm comfortable around you then I need to learn to be comfortable around Austin again."

"That's great Rose," he laughs ruffling my hair, "you two were inseparable. But don't have too much fun now."

Vic jumps off the wall and walks off towards his car where his brother Mike and Kellin were waiting for him. Kellin waves in my direction and I wave back.

"Shall we go Rose my cars on the other side of the car park?"

I jump out of my skin when Austin appears next to me like a ninja grinning. I put my hand on my chest and my heart was beating very fast.

"Thanks for the heart attack Austin. Now lead the way."

I get off the wall and allow Austin to guide me across the car park. On the way we pass by Oli who I wave at, he smiles and waves at me while glaring at Austin who glares back. I swear I even hear Austin growl beside me but I could have been hearing things.

The drive to the park was semi-silent, it wasn't an awkward silence but the conversation wasn't flowing naturally. Some rock radio station was playing in the background and Austin taps his fingers on the steering wheel in time with the music.

"I would make a comment about awkward silence Austin, but that would probably make this even more awkward."

He chuckles, "how about twenty questions? I really missed you Rose and I want us to be best friends again."

A sad smile plays on his lips, I didn't really remember what it was like to have friends my own age because Alex homeschooled me and because of my 'illness' I wasn't allowed to play with the other kids so I couldn't quite relate to the obvious pain Austin was showing.

"Twenty questions sounds good Austin. You go first."

Austin pulls his car into the park and before he can even kill the engine let alone ask the first question I take off my seatbelt and jump out of the car and start running towards the swings. On the odd occasion Alex took me out just the two of us, he took me to the local park and would push me on the swings. I would giggle and tell him to push me higher, and then panic when he pushed me too high.

"Rose wait up. Don't run off." Austin pants having run up the hill after me.

I claim the only non-damaged swing and start to push myself and pout in Austin's direction when I didn't get enough height.

"Austin push me, pretty please with a cherry on top."

Austin's anger subsides and he shakes his head before walking up behind me and starts to push me.

"You're one of a kind Rose. This is the same park you were kidnapped from and you just run off, I don't want to lose you again when I just got you back."

"I guess that slipped my mind," I sigh, "you're not going to lose me, Austin, now I believe you have to ask me a question."

This trip wasn't about our past, it was what we could make our future.

"I'll start easy Rose. What's your favourite colour?"

I roll my eyes at the cliché question, but I guessed we had to start somewhere.

"Dark purple, yours?"

Austin grunts, "Black and don't even think about calling me an emo."

"Black is a very classy colour Austin, it's probably my second favourite." I laugh at how defensive he gets when he came across as a bit of a loner at school.