Chapter 2 - Secrets and Boys

Chapter 2

Secrets and Boys

“I’m going to go check with the girls. You go see what you can find out.” I patted Mitch’s arm distractedly and ran over to the curvy blonde whispering furtively with my roommate, Munday. “Vaughn! What’s going on? Did you give another boy a heart attack, you sexy beast, you?”

“I did not give Julian a heart attack!” Shauvon slapped my arm. “He had an anxiety attack.”

“Because you touched his naughty bits.” Munday smirked, running her fingers through her spiky hair.

“It’s not my fault he was unprepared!” Vaughn laughed and wandered towards the drink station on the far wall. “I didn’t expect them to pair me with someone so… virtuous.” She smirked over her shoulder at us.

“It’s probably the only way they could guarantee you would keep it in your pants.” Munday laughed as we followed her and tapped in an order for our own beverages.

“Pants are overrated.” Vaughn shrugged and patted Munday’s butt. “I rarely keep anything in my pants.”

“I’m very aware.” My roommate chuckled. The two girls had been hooking up off and on since Vaughn joined the continuance community a little over seven months ago. It was mostly off now, as Munday and her work partner, Deacon grew closer, but Vaughn still showed up for the occasional sleep over.

“While I always enjoy listening to you guys flirt, is one of you going to fill me in on what’s going on? Why’s everyone in such a tizzy?” I swept a hand towards the small groups still huddled around the room.

“There’s an emergency meeting for all first year residents tonight. Mandatory attendance.”

“About what?” My glanced around the room, not sure what exactly I was looking for.

“No one knows!” Vaughn leaned in conspiratorially, “The announcement came out over the view screens about twenty minutes ago. People are saying that they’re going to do the partnering early this year. Maybe even tonight!”

“Really?” I felt the tiny squeeze of pain in my heart as my eyes shot towards apartment 316. Mitch’s apartment. Cole’s apartment. The two boys in a perpetual tug of war with my heart. Not that either of them knew that. Not anymore. As far as everyone knew, Mitch was the only guy for me and my feelings for Cole were a long gone thing of the past. Everyone but me that is. I gave myself a mental shake and planted a grin on my face. “That’s exciting.”

“Yeah, very exciting.” Vaughn nodded, jamming her pinky finger into her mouth. The girl was almost never uncertain, but that was her telltale sign.

“Shauvon?” I was grateful for the distraction from my own feelings. Sometimes I am sure I am the worst kind of friend.

“Not here.” She chewed on her knuckle.

“To the apartment.” Munday pointed and began marching away with locked knees. We couldn’t help but laugh as we followed her up the second floor.

When we reached the landing of the large, upper level apartments, I noticed a girl leaning on the railing a little ways down the hall. Her long, black hair hung over her forward, so long it brushed the top of the metal railing, hiding her face from view.  

“Hey Daria.” I called, skipping towards her.

“Jerrica.” She turned, smiling wanly. Her eyes were ringed in red. “What’s up, my friend?”

“What’s up with you? You look like someone broke your cricket mallet.” I waved Munday and Shauvon into the apartment and leaned against the rail next to Daria.