Chapter 3 - In The Pants

Chapter 3

In the Pants

Our normally cozy courtyard had been transformed by the chairs lined in rows across the floor. These weren’t the comfy, overstuffed armchairs we normally lolled around in. Instead, they were made of hard plastic and metal and looked unbearably uncomfortable. The few times we’d had meetings large enough to require the use of this space, the floor had been covered in piles of colourful blankets and pillows for us to sit on. 

“This is no pairing ceremony.” I muttered to myself as I scanned the room for Mitch. “No way.” My stomach twisted.

“Has it really come to this? Talking to yourself.” A pleasantly familiar voice sounded by my ear. “And in public?”

“Cole.” The name escaped my lips as a breath. “Hey, dude.” I gave him a lighthearted jab in the shoulder.

“What are you mumbling about?”

“Trying to figure out what’s about to happen.”

“You don’t think it’s the great pairing announcement, either?” Cole nodded, his arms crossed over his chest.

“Nope.” We began to make our way to the buffet. “It feels decidedly more ominous.”

“Agreed.”

“Have you heard rumblings from the blues?” I asked quietly. Cole’s work with the people who served our community was something we had to keep under wraps.

“They were told to be prepared to serve a meeting and for late meals, but they know no more than we do.” He muttered, tapping in an order for a drink and a granola bar. “It’s all very covert.”

“That’s not a good sign.” I chewed the pad of my thumb as I scanned the room.

“It certainly is not.” Cole lifted the mug of steaming tea from the dispenser and blew across the surface. “Who’s that with Brenda?” He nodded across the room. I followed his gaze to a tall blonde man leaning against the wall beside our community leader. The impish grin on his face as he scanned the room put my skin on edge.

“Never seen him before, but he’s white, so he must be a government official.” I watched the light pulsing beneath his skin. The white glow was hard to see from this distance, but it matched the lights of the other counsellors.

“Daria just got here. I’ll see you later.” He brushed the backs of his fingers against my arm and wandered back towards the elevators.

I reached into a bowl sitting on the counter, grabbed two oranges, and walked towards the far wall. Glancing up at a row of boys gathered at the fourth floor railing, I whistled.

“Jerrica.” Deacon drawled in his slow, reassuring way as he leaned over to look at me. “What can I help you with, honey?” His dark forearms contrasted beautifully with the stark white metal of the railing and his indigo light.

“Gorgeous, can you tell me where you’re hiding my boyfriend? You better not have him running drills before he leaves me for days.”

“I tried to convince him that it would be in his best interest not to let his skills lapse, but he had some ridiculous excuse about needing to pack. Disorganized. I may have to rethink his place on the team.” He shook his head. “It’s say really.”

“Shut it.” A hand reached forward and smacked him on the arm.

“Shut it, captain, is what I think you mean.” Deacon chuckled.

“Hey babe.” Mitch hip checked Deacon out of the way.

“Get your butt down here and visit with me before you leave, or when you get back, it’ll be Deacon keeping you warm at night.” I laughed and threw an orange at him. His large hand snatched the piece of fruit and did some fancy roll up his arm to pop off his elbow. Deacon’s hand shot out and snagged it out of the air before he could catch it again.