Chapter | 5

On Tuesday morning, Jack had not seen or heard from Emily, except one message on Sunday morning apologising for not answering his calls, that she was fine and she'd see him later. Going past Monday morning her car was already gone from its spot in the garage and hoping they'd still be going for their run, she still wasn't home that night. His calls went straight to voicemail and she hadn't responded to any of his texts and he was filled with regret over not seeing her on Sunday. He couldn't work out if he had upset her or not and finding Joshua at lunch, casually bringing up her name had proved pointless as he hadn't seen or heard from her either. Joshua knew something was up and by the end of the work day, was glad to get away from his unusually moody boss.

Tuesday night he tried again, casually turning up as he had all of last week and he fist pumped the air as he headed down the path when her car was in its rightful spot beside her house and as if on cue his phone beeped and sure enough her name came up on the screen.

Jack! So sorry, been at Gregs and haven't been able to charge my phone. Hope all is well xx

His good mood was short lived as he read it again. Jack turned back down the road to the path and headed down by the river before he got another message.

Are you up for a run?

He knew he was going to regret it but he had to at least see her.

Sure. Already out be there in 5 :)

Putting on her joggers, Emily locked up her house and started down the street, smiling as she saw Jack coming up the path. She hugged him casually as she did with everyone and tensed as his arms went a little too tight around her.

"Hey Em" She forgot how adorable his accent was and despite being busy with work and having Greg home, she realised she actually missed the daily contact.

"Hello Mr Davies" They carried on back towards the water at a slow walk until Emily picked up the pace to a jog. Stopping by the bridge the traffic was still steady overhead and with the days starting to grow longer with the promise of summer, the sun had only just disappeared on the horizon and the heat of the day gave way to the night. Stopping by the water they stretched, and Emily hadn't missed the frown that had been set on his face the whole time.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" She finally asked, resting her hands on her hips, Jack looked at her confused.

"Nothing? Why would you think that?" He couldn't tell her the truth, not if he wanted to keep her around.

"You've been frowning all night. Is it because I didn't message you back? I'm sorry but..." He cut off her off, not needing to hear her apologise for being with her fiancé.

"Its fine, just work stuff. Sorry" They both seemed to be apologising over nothing and they were quiet for a moment. "So do you guys not live together?" It was something Jack had been trying to work out and Emily sighed as if a weight had been placed on her shoulders.

"No. He has his own apartment about fifteen minutes from here on the other side of the river" She pointed behind them past the bridge. "He would rather knock down my house and build a mansion to match everyone else than live there. When he is in, I'm usually at his place. Just easier" She shrugged and kept walking.

Jack didn't know what to say to that but he had spoken before he could stop himself. "That's the most stupid thing I've heard" Emily looked back at him oddly.

"I know" She didn't like talking about Greg with Jack. It felt wrong; like she was rubbing her relationship in his face and she didn't mean to but she also didn't want to make him think he had a chance with her and lead him on. Especially if he was feeling even an inch of the chemistry between them that she was. Did that even mean anything? They were silent for the rest of the walk and she stopped abruptly as they neared her house. Before Jack could ask what was wrong he saw the figure by the house and white sports car on her driveway.