Chapter Twenty-two:Scream and Cry (Aza's POV)

I stared at Abe's body. He lay perfectly still on the dirt, his skin burnt and covered in bright crimson blood. Hannah was crying and holding on to Ryan. I was in shock. It was to horrible. I could hear the amazed and distressed cries of the younger pack members and the see the somber looks of the older members. They had crystal tears dripping down russet cheeks. I heard Connor take a step in my direction. I stiffened when his hand met my shoulder. "Aza, are you okay?" His voice was thick.

    "No, I am not okay Connor. What is going to happen now?" I asked. Connor glanced at Abe's crumpled form, and shook his head. Ryan lifted Hannah into his grip, holding her tight to his chest. He strode over to me and wrapped me in his arms. Connor gave a pained sigh. They thought they were in pain...the idiots. It was their fault my mate was dead. If they had stayed by his side he wouldn't be dead right now.

    "It's your fault!" I screamed. They jumped back, startled. Connor watched me. Ryan just held Hannah tighter. "If you had watched him, he wouldn't be dead!" Ryan flinched. Hannah pressed her face into his chest. Connor's face hardened.

    "You don't think we know that? We know, Aza. We know it is our faults!" He yelled, eyes glowing gold. He bared sharp teeth. I winced and stepped, stumbling over my own feet. I knew I had started this. I didn't care. I just want Abe back. I felt tears start to flow down my cheeks as thoughts of his gentle eyes looking down on me resurfaced. Of the strength  of his arms. The softness of his wolf's fur. He is gone. I began sob.

    Connor sat down and held me. Ryan took Hannah home. Several pack members took Abe away. Others prayed before leaving. And still I sat there crying, clutching Connor's dark t-shirt in my hands until my knuckles turned white. At midnight he finally took me to Abe's. He sat me in the bed, which smelled strongly of Abe's warm woodsy scent. I grasped the pillow tightly, hugging it as a frightened child would hold their teddy bear.

    I cried and cried and cried until the pillow was soaked through. I kept seeing flashes of his pale face, the sad eyes, the bloody body. I tried to remind myself that that wasn't Abe. Not really. But the more I thought of it the more I cried. Hours later I couldn't cry anymore. The tears were gone and my throat was raw. I felt my eyelids grow heavy.

    A bright  light glowed in front of me. It looked warm and inviting. I stepped forward, feeling heat sinking into my cold bones. Am I dying, I wondered. I looked around curiously. Everything was light and comforting. Was Abe here? I scanned the area frantically. A slight distance away I saw him. I ran in his direction. He turned and smiled at me. I gazed in awe at his familiar strong features.

    His high cheekbones didn't look nearly so threatening when he was doused in blood. His black eyes were soft. "Aza." His voice sent a thrill through me.

    "Abe, you're okay." His broad smile faded. I watched him confusedly when he stepped away. "Abe, what's wrong?" He sighed.

    "You're dreaming Aza. At least, I hope you're dreaming." I stared in disbelief. I wasn't dreaming. Right? I hugged him. I felt him tense. After a moment he relaxed and pressed his face into my hair. "I always loved that purple streak." I glanced at him confusedly. "It makes you seem rebellious." He said, smiling. Suddenly darkness flooded our little area. His body jerked. Pain showed in his gorgeous face. I felt a strange force pulling me away from him. I  screamed in fury. I saw his shirt fall away, revealing whip marks. Blood dripped from Abe's lips.

    I screeched. "No,no, no, no, no!" I yelled. I was getting pulled further and further away. I dropped to my knees, but it didn't help. Abe gasped in agony and slammed into the ground. I saw a sharp and wicked dagger sticking from his back.

    I woke screaming and covered in sweat. I was shaking like a leaf. I gazed sightlessly at the darkness. "Help me, help me, help me." I whispered over and over again like a broken record. That was how Connor found me in the morning.