Chapter Four, Game of Love

Chapter Four

ELLIE STRUGGLED TO maneuver the bulky, heavy suitcase through the crowded bar, stopping to wait for people to move out of her way every few steps as she followed Dex toward the bar. There was no way in hell she'd be able to find Dina's apartment with the way New York was suddenly spinning around her. She made a mental note that rum and Coke was now officially off her list of valid options for alcohol. She hadn't eaten since early that morning, she was tired, and she was pretty sure that she was about to meet Dex's girlfriend—and quite possibly the skinniest woman she'd ever seen.

Dex stopped short and turned around. Ellie smacked right into his chest, which felt really good and smelled even better. Note to self: Dex smells way too good after rum and Coke. No more rum and Coke.

"I'm sorry." Dex laughed. "Are you okay?"

No. I'm horribly embarrassed and I suck at the moment, but you smell really good, so I'm just gonna leave my nose pressed between your pecs for another breath or two. She looked up into his smiling eyes. Jesus, what am I doing? It's Dex. Ugh. Moron move number seventeen for the night.

"Sorry." She pushed away from him and wobbled, sober enough to note that his jeans hung dangerously sexy across his hips.

He put his hand on her shoulder. "You sure you don't want me to take that bag?"

She narrowed her eyes in the way she knew he'd understand.

He sighed. "You are one stubborn woman."

"Thank you," she said with as much snarkiness as she could muster.

Dex shook his head and waved a hand, leading a path to a barstool.

"Thank you," she said as she climbed up on the stool. The stool began to spin, and with one hand holding her suitcase, she reached for the bar to stop the motion—and missed, sending her suitcase keeling to the side while the stool continued its obnoxious whirl.

Dex grabbed her knee and steadied her.

"I've got it." Ellie felt herself falling right back into the girl she had been so many years ago: tough, resilient, in control...and cold. Shit. She was acting cold and she didn't like it one bit, but the alternative was not good. Acting on her feelings for too-sexy Dexy was dangerous.

"Regina, Mitch, this is Ellie Parker."

Ellie heard Dex introduce her, but his hand was searing a hole in her jeans right through to her bone. She forced her gaze from his hand to his friends' curious eyes.

"Hi." Ellie noticed that Regina was also staring at Dex's hand. Oh great. Now I've pissed off his girlfriend. Why the hell didn't he tell me he had a girlfriend instead of sitting at my booth for so long? Now the skinny girl would give me the evil eye forever. She pushed Dex's hand off her leg with a quick brush of her elbow. Better. Sort of.

"Mitch." The scruffy guy with a head of curly hair held out his hand.

Ellie shook his warm, doughy hand.

"Ellie. Ellie. Ellie." Mitch looked at Dex. "Ellie?"

She could see him trying to place her. It was glaringly obvious that Dex had never mentioned her, which stung, though she knew it shouldn't. She'd kicked him to the curb when she'd left. Why would he ever want to talk about her—or for that matter, why was he being so nice to her now? Because it's who he is. I should get the hell out of here before I do something stupid and hurt him again.

"Parker," Dex said. "We went to school together."

"School. College?" Regina crossed her arms and dragged her scrutinizing gaze from Ellie's head to her toes.