Dark Black Magic - Chapter 8: The Wish

Skyler POV

 Grandma shoved a pile of old plates into the cardboard box then continued to pack items careful around it. Each item was a piece of my history with a special memory attached to it. I watched in horror as Grandma closed the flaps of the box and taped it up. In large black marker the words 'CHARITY' was scrawled across the side. Grandma opened another cupboard and placed a similar empty box underneath it with the same black marker label. It felt like she was packing away the small fragments of my life and happily giving them to someone else. I felt physically sick. Gripping on to the back of the kitchen chair I asked, "Where are you going?"

Without even looking at me, Grandma said, "I'm going to go visit my cousin in Wales."

The way she said it made it sound like she was going away for the weekend to visit some cousin in another state. How could she be this calm?

"Wales? You're going to England?" I cried out.

 Grandma paused and shook her head, "No, I'm going to Wales, the country next door to England."

 "Why?" I asked.

 "I'm having a mid-life crisis. I feel like a whale stuck in a gold fish bowl." My Grandma shrugged.

 Angrily I marched over to the window and threw open the curtains revealing an uninhabited mountainous and forest landscapes that stretched as far as the eye could see. I pointed out of the window and said, "You call that a 'gold fish bowl'?"

 My Grandma didn't even bother looking, she just sighed and said, almost apologetically, "Oh my dear girl, it's still the same scene everyday."

 I watched her pull out an old cook book that we had used to bake cakes together. She pulled it out by its cover and threw it haphazardly into a moving box. Inside I could feel my heart breaking.

 "How could you do this? This is my home..." My voice lost its stamina mid sentence and trailed in a squeak the silence.

 Grandma threw another book into the box, "Skyler, I sold the house this morning." she said.

 "What?" I gripped the edge of the kitchen table unable to stand.

 "I need money to fund my travels, and you'll soon be moving out with Rayne."

 "I've only known him a few days!"

 "Oh pish posh."

 "Grandma, where am I going to live?"

 "That's been taken care of. I have an old acquaintance in town who is looking for tenants for an empty apartment he owns," Grandma said, "And he is also looking for a half decent witch to work at his magic store. Now, I have had words with him and he said would be willing to take you on and rent the apartment out to you."